Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: KDESU not working on OpenSuse 11.2

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default KDESU not working on OpenSuse 11.2

    Hi there,

    I've recently installed from scratch Suse 11.2, and I'm having a bit of an issue with kdesu.

    Basically everytime I try to start an application using kdesu (e.g. Yast), the windows where to put the password appears, but when I click on OK, or I press enter nothing happens, the windows stays where it was, and of course the program does not start.

    The same issue occurs when I type the password to open kwalletmanager, I suppose the two things are connected.

    Any suggestion would be much appreciated

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    339

    Default Re: KDESU not working on OpenSuse 11.2

    You don't need to do kdesu when starting Yast. If you click on Yast it will automatically ask for the admin/root password before it opens. I would assume that would be the same for kwallet but I don't use it.
    Pete

  3. #3

    Default Re: KDESU not working on OpenSuse 11.2

    That's the problem!
    When Yast (or any other program that requires root privileges) automatically ask for the admin/root password, it opens the window I mentioned in my first post, the one I get stuck in.
    If you notice it, the title of this window is something like "Execute as root - <<su>> for KDE", i.e. the program launches kdesu for you, and I cannot go further

  4. #4
    upscope NNTP User

    Default Re: KDESU not working on OpenSuse 11.2

    MadSplinter wrote:

    >
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've recently installed from scratch Suse 11.2, and I'm having a bit
    > of an issue with kdesu.
    >
    > Basically everytime I try to start an application using kdesu (e.g.
    > Yast), the windows where to put the password appears, but when I
    > click on OK, or I press enter nothing happens, the windows stays
    > where it was, and of course the program does not start.
    >
    > The same issue occurs when I type the password to open
    > kwalletmanager, I suppose the two things are connected.
    >
    > Any suggestion would be much appreciated
    >

    What version of KDE are you using? I have openSUSE2 with KDE 4.3.4 and
    kdesu works fine. Did you put in the correct root password? If not it
    will go away and nothing happen.

    --
    Russ
    [openSUSE 11.2 (2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop, x86_64] KDE 4.3.4 release 2,
    Intel Core 2 Dual E7200, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8400 GS, 320GB Disc (2)

  5. #5

    Default Re: KDESU not working on OpenSuse 11.2

    Quote Originally Posted by upscope View Post
    MadSplinter wrote:

    >
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've recently installed from scratch Suse 11.2, and I'm having a bit
    > of an issue with kdesu.
    >
    > Basically everytime I try to start an application using kdesu (e.g.
    > Yast), the windows where to put the password appears, but when I
    > click on OK, or I press enter nothing happens, the windows stays
    > where it was, and of course the program does not start.
    >
    > The same issue occurs when I type the password to open
    > kwalletmanager, I suppose the two things are connected.
    >
    > Any suggestion would be much appreciated
    >

    What version of KDE are you using? I have openSUSE2 with KDE 4.3.4 and
    kdesu works fine. Did you put in the correct root password? If not it
    will go away and nothing happen.

    --
    Russ
    [openSUSE 11.2 (2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop, x86_64] KDE 4.3.4 release 2,
    Intel Core 2 Dual E7200, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8400 GS, 320GB Disc (2)
    I'm using KDE 4.3.1 release 6.
    It doesn't matter using the right password. Either if I use the right one, a wrong one or I leave it blank, the result is the same

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: KDESU not working on OpenSuse 11.2

    Become su - in a terminal
    type: yast2


    what happens
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  7. #7

    Default Re: KDESU not working on OpenSuse 11.2

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Become su - in a terminal
    type: yast2


    what happens
    That works.
    Actually, launch the program using console as root it is the only way I have to access all the programs that need root privileges.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: KDESU not working on OpenSuse 11.2

    How else did you expect to do it?

    Are you saying using the launcher from the menu doesn't start yast.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  9. #9

    Default Re: KDESU not working on OpenSuse 11.2

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    How else did you expect to do it?

    Are you saying using the launcher from the menu doesn't start yast.
    Let me try to explain better...
    Let's say for simplicity that I want to start Yast (but again, it is the same with every program that needs root privileges)

    Using su then launching yast, does work.

    Using kdesu yast, OR clicking on the yast icon, does NOT work, because in both cases you are using the kdesu interface

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: KDESU not working on OpenSuse 11.2

    Works for me

    What output do you get in terminal when you do kdesu yast2
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •