What to do when no RPM is available but a DEB is available?

I’m looking for Qalculate with full GUI for KDE. There’s a package for Ubuntu/Debian, but I can’t find anything for openSUSE KDE 11.2. Is there an easy way to use the debian package? Some other solution?

1. go here: Software.openSUSE.org
  2. type in: Qalculate
  3. ???
  4. Profit!!!

I have used the following, available from the repositories
1- alien
2- deb
I hope it will help

I wrote a guide some time not too long ago with some software installation hints: openSUSE software installation hints - openSUSE Forums

I notice it can also be found on webpin:
Webpin search for qalculate

Sorry, no dice. There’s no KDE Gui version of Qalculate there.

Thanks. Interesting. So now the question is how to determine which packages those are. Are they the command line only or the plasmoids or the full gui?

EDIT: they look like the same packages I found previously - either command line or plasmoid, but no full GUI for KDE.

Thanks. Nice guide. Based on what I’m seeing, it looks like I may have to compile Qalculate myself from the tarball… I didn’t really want to do this because I assumed it wouldn’t have the polished integration into openSUSE KDE that I’ve come to expect. Is that true? Maybe I’ll just try it and see…

Thank you. Those are interesting options too. But given that alien is experimental and that I couldn’t find deb, I’m inclined to just compile from source.

I’m stuck:

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

Which packages contain rt_externs.h, X11/Intrinsic.h, etc.? Is it xorg-x11-libX11-devel ?

There are a lot of choices…

Can you explain “look like” ??

Given they are on a KDE4 repository, I do not understand …

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.2_KDE_43

I’m not advocating the use of alien, but the .deb files are easy to find.

The .deb files are linked from the source forge page:
Qalculate! - the ultimate desktop calculator which takes one here: Debian – Package Search Results – qalculate

Bad decision. After installing ALL X11 devel packages, I’m stuck here:

checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.1 (20021021) and < 4.0) (headers and libraries) not found. 

Giving up. I’ll just use qalculate on my Ubuntu machine.

Well, there are a lot of packages there, so I sampled a few. And each one I checked was the command line only package - no GUI. Not sure what conclusions to draw about why someone put them in the KDE repos, but they are not GUI packages. I looked at a bunch of them – every package was command line.

I know about deb packages. I have qalculate installed on Ubuntu already. But I thought the previous post was saying there were two tools. One called alien and one called deb" (which I took to be a tool for converting rpms to debs). I guess I just read it wrong.

And I am not highly inclined to use alien. I’m giving up on compiling from source because of the specific Qt requirement.

Did you install the KDE Development pattern from YaST > Software > Software Maintenance?

Its a lot of packages, but typically development / custom building requires a lot of packages.

I agree with your assessment re: using alien. I deliberately left “alien” out of my software hints how-to.

I think the odds of it working with KDE on openSUSE are slim if converted with alien.

Still, for the record, my understanding is if you have a .deb application packaged as “package.deb” to convert it to an rpm one would type (using the most simple options):

alien --to-rpm package.deb

No, I picked the packages all manually. But next time I’ll know about that pattern. However, as far as I can tell Qt3.1 is not easily available, and I’m not ready to go chasing down yet another unavailable package when I started by trying to chase down qalculate. That’s one too many iterations for me.

… and for the above to work you need the rpm “alien” and the rpm “deb” installed.

As noted, I also am not inclined to use “alien” to convert .deb to .rpm packages.

However, having typed that, I also have a “sandbox” PC on which I can experiment with ideas, to see if they work, so that if I mess things up totally, there is nothing lost except at the very worst the need to setup my sandbox PC again. Fortunately in today’s day of quick openSUSE installations, that is easy. …

So I went here: Debian – Package Download Selection – qalculate-kde_0.9.6-3+b1_amd64.deb and downloaded: qalculate-kde_0.9.6-3+b1_amd64.deb .

Note I have deb and alien installed:

oldcpu@hal1000:~/tars> rpm -q deb alien
deb-1.15.0-14.3.x86_64
alien-8.78-1.1.noarch

Then I ran with root permissions on a 64-bit openSUSE-11.2 with KDE-4.3.4 :

alien --scripts --to-rpm qalculate-kde_0.9.6-3+b1_amd64.deb

That created qalculate-kde-0.9.6-4.x86_64.rpm which I then installed with zypper:

zypper install qalculate-kde-0.9.6-4.x86_64.rpm

That installed the executeable “qalculate-kde” in /usr/bin/

I then ran qalculate-kde and it seems to work in KDE-4.3.4.

As the saying goes YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Have fun! and Merry Christmas !