Thread: Thunderbird Emails and Beagle in 11.2

Default Thunderbird Emails and Beagle in 11.2

Hi, somebody out there who got Thunderbird emails indexed by Beagle ?

Current status on my box: Thunderbird 2.x is installed, the Thunderbird backend for Beagle as well. It sits in the Backends subdirectory, is enabled in Beagle's preferences but my emails aren't indexed: index information shows "Thunderbird: 0".

According to the documentation on the project's web site there must be an add-on for Thunderbird installed and configured, but I can't find it in the repository packages.

Any hint ? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thunderbird Emails and Beagle in 11.2

Why not use TB3 which has its own indexing engine?

First important reason (still) not to use TB3: it breaks the lightning extension.
    Second, I do use beagle as my local search engine anyway and just like to have one place to submit all my queries.

Any hints out there to make it work ?

Blog Entries

Yeah, pity about Lightning, though 1.0 is due out any day now. In the meantime I'm using a separate Sunbird.

No suggestions for beagle, sorry. I dislike beagle, it loads up my CPU for no good reason.

The Thunderbird 2.x add-on necessary for Beagle doesn't seem to be in any repo package. At least, I couldn't find it. Might be it was kicked out when the decision was made to ship 11.2 with TB3. The beagle-thunderbird package was left in, for whatever reasons (forgotten ? TB3 uses it ?) ... just a guess.

I worked it around now: fetched the beagle source rpm package, had to install a dozen additional devel packages and compiled it. After the build process there are two "beagle.xpi" files somewhere in the source tree: one for Firefox and one for Thunderbird. Finally I installed the newly compiled add-on from Thunderbird's Tools-Add-ons Menu and tuned the Preferences for this add-on.

Works fine now: all e-mails are indexed and can be searched from the beagle-gui.