Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [11.2 Gnome] Where to set shortname=winnt mount option?

Default Re: [11.2 Gnome] Where to set shortname=winnt mount option?

I really appreciate your help Henk, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, because I'm really grateful for your help. However, I've been googling this since before christmas, and there seems to be only 2 solutions to my problem, neither of which work for me. And I don't know the reason why it shouldn't

I already created a 95-vfatcase.fdi file previously, I've tried putting it in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor, as well as /etc/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
      <device>
        <match key="block.is_volume" bool="true">
          <match key="volume.fsusage" string="filesystem">
            <match key="volume.fsversion" string="FAT12">
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.iocharset=utf8" type="bool">false</merge>
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.shortname=win95" type="bool">true</merge>
            </match>
            <match key="volume.fsversion" string="FAT16">
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.iocharset=utf8" type="bool">false</merge>
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.shortname=win95" type="bool">true</merge>
            </match>
            <match key="volume.fsversion" string="FAT32">
            </match>
            <match key="volume.fstype" string="vfat">
            </match>
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    In both locations, it doesn't seem to have any effect. The key "volume.policy.mount_option.shortname" doesn't appear in lshal. The only way I have succeeded in influencing the lshal output is by editing 20-storage-methods.fdi in /usr/share/hal.../10osvendor. And even if it did reflect the change in lshal, it still did not change the actual mount option used.

My suspicions:
    - Could it be that the values are being cached somewhere else, such that even restarting hald still uses the old values?

- permissions problem on the .fdi file?

- Something wrong with my .fdi file, that it doesn't match the device?

- mount options are controlled from another location I haven't found yet?

- mount options are hard-coded?

Sorry for leading you in circles. As you may have seen I am not a fan of HAL, mainly because configuring like this is a nightmare. I did configure things to udev and that is very easy compared to this.

I will give my opinion on your five questions for what it is worth:

- caching could be, but I would think stop/start hald should empty it, in any case a reboot must do that.

- when the permissions are the same as on the original files there can not be any problem. Owner: root, group: root, readable by all, directories searchable by all, writetable by root only.

- hm, do not know.

- there are some things hard-coded in HAL, like the /media root for its mounts. It might be the case.
    Henk van Velden

No, you're not leading me in circles, in fact it's a bit clearer to me now. Still, clearer doesn't really help if HAL or whatever ignores my options.

thanks

I've spent last night mv'ing gnome-mount, halmount.py, gvfs-mount to another name. Hopefully to pin down which program is actually in charge of mounting. The theory is, if mount fails because the program is missing, then it was in charge of mounting.

However, it was not so fruitful, in all 3 cases, mount succeeded, indicating that none of those 3 were used (?). I still have to try mv'ing /bin/mount ...

Moving /bin/mount is not usefull I think. It is about the parameters mount is called with, not about mount itself. Also be carefull not mv mount away over a boot, because then nithing can be mounted at boot
    Henk van Velden

mv'ing stuff around isn't helping me fix the shortname thing. It's supposed to pin down which program is actually mounting the disk. If I figure out which program is performing the actual mount, then maybe I'll know how to configure it.

mv'ing stuff around doesn't seem to affect the mounting in any way, mounts proceed as usual. Mounting is probably done by magic.

So I'm still stuck without a clue as to why changing HAL's files doesn't affect anything whatsoever. Moving binaries around doesn't affect anything. And everything else I do is not fixing what should be a simple configuration, despite what the internet says.

I am still of the opinion that HAL does the mount. I do not know if it calls the mount utility for this or if it interfaces directly to the kernel. What you could do, while you are testing that thouroughly, it stopping HAL, and see what happens when you connect the device (nothing I think, but that is what you are testing

When you do not konw how to stop/start HAL, use YaST > System > Systemservices (Runlevel), look for haldeamon in the list and the rest is obvious.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I am still of the opinion that HAL does the mount. I do not know if it calls the mount utility for this or if it interfaces directly to the kernel. What you could do, while you are testing that thouroughly, it stopping HAL, and see what happens when you connect the device (nothing I think, but that is what you are testing

When you do not konw how to stop/start HAL, use YaST > System > Systemservices (Runlevel), look for haldeamon in the list and the rest is obvious.
    I never thought of stopping HAL until you mentioned it. Surprisingly, after stopping HAL, the mount still occurs, and still mounts with shortname=lower! Told you it was magic

Well that's really weird, shows that what we thought we knew, wasn't really the case. Now I don't know what's really going on...

I am baffled, can not say any usfull thing atm.

I have to help my wife in the garden now, but I do have something to think about in the meantime.
    Henk van Velden

Haha, I have to go help my wife too. I'll probably come back to this again tomorrow. In the meantime, I've been doing more googling and it seems HAL is being replaced in favor of DeviceKit.

Still have more reading to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast