Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: root partition (20 GB) full!!!!!!

Default root partition (20 GB) full!!!!!!

I have 3 partitions:
    1) root (20 GB)
    2) home (40 GB)
    3) data (250 GB)

I can't install anything anymore because my root partition seems to be full somehow. I do not understand how this is possible. I have only installed kde4 (not gnome) and did not install that many software. I always have been fine with this setup until now.

What can I do beside formating and reinstalling opensuse? Is there a way to check if something else is wrong? I really do not believe I have that much data installed...

Blog Entries

Default Re: root partition (20 GB) full!!!!!!

Take a look at this thread:
    Disk Full Problem - openSUSE Forums

often its a simple case of /var/log/messages and /var/log/warning taking up all your hard drive space.

Hi,

it's just a lucky guess but you can try to clean up the tmp directories located in /tmp and /var/tmp. Before you do this you can verify if this is your problem by executing du -hs /tmp and du -hs /var/tmp.

There could be also the possibility that your logs are running full. I haven't seen that very often but I had one case where they got faster filled than rotated (through logrotate). The logs are located in /var/log.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Monex View Post
    Hi,

it's just a lucky guess but you can try to clean up the tmp directories located in /tmp and /var/tmp. Before you do this you can verify if this is your problem by executing du -hs /tmp and du -hs /var/tmp.

There could be also the possibility that your logs are running full. I haven't seen that very often but I had one case where they got faster filled than rotated (through logrotate). The logs are located in /var/log.

Hope this helps
    Thanks for the quick replies! This is my output:

Code:
    Susanne:~ # du -hs /tmp
    13G     /tmp
    Susanne:~ # du -hs /var/tmp/
    38M     /var/tmp/
    Does this mean my tmp folder is using 13 GB??? How can it contain so much data on such a short period (couple of weeks)?

If you're going to remove stuff from /tmp or /var/tmp, I'd do it from a live CD. Running systems can often be quite averse to things unexpectedly disappearing...

But my money's on the logs.

To clean /tmp and /var/tmp, I switch to runlevel 1, remove their content, and reboot.

In the tmp folder there is a kde-<username> folder. This folder has many folders like: dolphinbe3399.tmp. These folders contain mp3 files totalling to 13 GB. Is this a bug in dolphin? I have examples enabled in dolphin for audio and video...

And how do I switch to runlevel 1 in command line?

Don't know about dolphin.

To switch to runlevel 1, and do the rest:

su
    [Enter password]

init 1

rm -rf /tmp/* /var/tmp/*; reboot

Ok that solved my problem. Hopefully I will not encouter it a 2nd time...

You can automate this in '/etc/sysconfig.' Open the editor in Yast, and in System -> Cron, you'll find several parameters for clearing the tmp directories (MAX_DAYS_IN_TMP, CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP). I don't know how yours grew to 13GB, but this should prevent it from happening in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast