Is there a way to configure Canonscan Lide 100?

Hi, I have a canonscan Lide 100 scanner. Yast determined it as non-configured scanner, and I saw, there is no support for the newer scanners.

Is there a way to make it work? Both xscane and skanlite aren’t recognize the device.

This is a problem. IMHO Canon is one of the worst buys a linux user could do. Yes, I know they make linux drivers, but the time I spent on a couple of Canon machines in 2009 would have bought 2 decent printers for every single user in these offices. We know the service employees by name.
And still nothing works like it should. They have admitted now, that the problems are not in CUPS, linux, openSUSE, OpenOffice.org, but in their drivers.
If I had been following my sentiments, the machines would have been the first ones doing print-jobs whilst orbitting earth.

Try to get support from Canon, don’t take to much time for it, scanners are cheap.

Cheap is relative…And it works fine with my XP (dualboot).

For the next buy, which scanners are working good with Opensuse?

LinuxHardware.org - Imagination is more important than knowledge…

To add: a couple of years ago Canon even proudly announced on their Australian website, that they did not consider linux as a serious OS, and therefore did not see the need to provide linux users with drivers.

My experiences with scanners are limited to some Canon’s and HP’s (for home usage). The HP’s have never been a problem to me or the users using them AFAIK. Right now my old Deskjet has changed this world for a better one, and I will be buying a HP all-in-one this holiday. Will report here about findings.

I know some HP all-in-ones 21xx series. They are working very well, but I don’t like the software of HP.

Also is it laser, or inkjet? Because the real bummer with these, if you’re out of black ink, nothing is working, till you won’t change the ink to a new one.

I played with the thought to buy a laser one, with fax also, but then again, I have no place for it, and have a small laser printer and a thin scanner.

Good luck with the buy!

i have a canon lide60 scanner and it works fine. It might be worth trying to set up your scanner manually in yast and selecting the genius driver.

tried that, because 60 has support, and did not work.

but then again, maybe a missed something.

have you tried installing the windows driver in linux via the ndiswrapper?

No. Isn’t it for networks only?

He could be pointing to ddiwrapper

Thanks, I checked it out, my scanner is not included.

Sane support for CanoScan LiDE 100 was added at summer 2010. Luckily some october git version is compiled at jimfunk repository:
Index of /repositories/home:/jimfunk
Install it, run Yast Scanner tool, choose Edit when you’ll finish with an entry for unworking scanner, choose genesys backend ( at the top), finish.
There also instructions how to compile sane-backends and adjust configuration files across Ubuntu/deb forums and blogs. With little modifications they probably suit openSUSE too.