Thread: Multiple Desktop backgrounds, KDE 4.3

Default Multiple Desktop backgrounds, KDE 4.3

I have read that it is possible to give different backgrounds to different desktops in KDE 4.3, but I have yet to find how to do it. Is it really possible and if so, how do I do it?
    Linux motto: Here's the computer, just do stuff
    Dell Latitude D630: Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz, 2GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, openSUSE 11.4, Windows Vista
    Weird people have all the fun

Default Re: Multiple Desktop backgrounds, KDE 4.3

Hi,

Make sure you're using the default Desktop containment. Then click on the "cashew" looking thing at the top right of your screen. Choose configure plasma, then check "Different activity for each desktop". You can now use different backgrounds and containments for each desktop.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

I tried that and found that the widgets don't stay consistent throughout the different desktops. Whenever I check "use a different activity for each desktop," "Use a separate dashboard" gets checked.
    Linux motto: Here's the computer, just do stuff
    Dell Latitude D630: Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz, 2GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, openSUSE 11.4, Windows Vista
    Weird people have all the fun

Quote Originally Posted by camper365 View Post
    I tried that and found that the widgets don't stay consistent throughout the different desktops. Whenever I check "use a different activity for each desktop," "Use a separate dashboard" gets checked.
    You have to change to plain desktop after it's been set.

Quote Originally Posted by camper365 View Post
    Yes, this is correct. For each activity you can have different backgrounds, widgets, or anything else. In order to have the same stuff you have to add it to each desktop.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

thanks for the help , man is it hard trying to learn a new os, but its worth it to get rid of MS WINDOWS. thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by yeldarbs1 View Post
    thanks for the help , man is it hard trying to learn a new os, but its worth it to get rid of MS WINDOWS. thanks again
    You are welcome. This is one of the less obvious things to solve (and that is an understatement). Most things are more logical to find. Wishing you success.
    Henk van Velden