Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just installed linux

Default just installed linux

I am currently upgrading to 4.2 and was wondering if it will overwrite all my files or just reload them on the desktop when it is done installing

I also want to delete the previous windows partition that was just there, although I suppose I should be asking these questions at the login/installation forum, right?

my computer has the following specs:

nvidia geforce graphics mx 400

processor intel 4 cpu

2,405.59 mhz

1.5 gb ram
    36.8 mb free memory
    2.0 gb free swap

and 47.3 gb space left on my approx. 100 gb hard drive

the 47.3 is a little low considering I have about nothing on here

but that is why I want to get rid of the windows partition for now

anyway the main reason I am posting on this forum as that I can't seem to play videos on youtube after upgrading the adobe flashplayer, and allowing javascript

can anyone help me install all necessary drivers/plugins so I can get this thing going, I want to watch dvds with this thing also

also, the internet works great, gui works great, everything is mostly fast with a few minor bugs, happy to be using linux

Default Re: just installed linux

If you haven't already read the permanent How-To and FAQ postings, please do - they contain links to this issue and other typical issues. Very good material.

NEW Users - openSuse Pre-install (general) PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums
    openSUSE 11.2 | SUSE Linux | Beginner's guide multimedia MP3 DVD codecs 3D nvidia ati wireless wlan wifi rpm kde howto
    and
    Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

Possibly some other links as well. I recall seeing at least two guide that helped get my Flash working. The first one didn't (for me), the 2nd one did the trick.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

alright I'll check that out

I just installed linux nvidia drivers on the computer, but it still hasn't seemed to help me play videos it still says I have flash player disabled or I don't have javascript enabled

really weird, I guess I could look over those read me's one more time

Quote Originally Posted by imachavel View Post
    I just installed linux nvidia drivers on the computer, but it still hasn't seemed to help me play videos it still says I have flash player disabled or I don't have javascript enabled

really weird, I guess I could look over those read me's one more time
    You need to install flash player for playing videos in browser. Which broswer you are using? system architecture 32bit or 64bit?

You can install flash from terminal:

zypper in flash-player
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

I'm pretty sure I'm using a 32 bit operating system.

how do I do what you were saying?

whenever I try and enter a command into the command line terminal, it never works

but flash player has been installed, and javascript has been allowed, and for some reason I still can't play videos on youtube or google video

Quote Originally Posted by imachavel View Post
    whenever I try and enter a command into the command line terminal, it never works

but flash player has been installed, and javascript has been allowed, and for some reason I still can't play videos on youtube or google video
    In this case open terminal and type the following and hit enter button. After that restart the browser and try again.

sudo cp /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins/

bash: cdsudo: command not found

this was the reply

thanks for the help btw

also, in about 5 minutes I'm going to install linux 4.2, will this erase all files and any plugins I've just installed now?

For the above code follow these instructions.

1- Open terminal.
    2- Type this:
    Code:
    su
    and now enter your root password
    3- Now type this:
    Code:
    cp /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins/
    Also at the mean time you can check your browser plugins for flash.
    For firefox: goto Tools in the menu and select Add-ons and choose plugins tab to see whether flash is detected or not.

For linux4.2, i assume you mean Puppy linux?
    No, if you intsall it on another partition it will not effect this installation at all. In case you are not formating and cleaning this installation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast