Problems with Thunderbird3 in SuSe 11.2

Can anyone help me with the following problems with Thunderbird 3

1. Clicking on ‘Help Contents’ under Help does not do anything so there is no way of finding out how to resolve a problem.
    2.Nothing happens when you click on a link in a received email - there does not seem to be an automatic link to open Firefox and I have been unable to find any settings that would achieve this.

These are the problems I have encountered so far and I think that they seem to have spent to much time on the fancy bits without making sure that the basics are working!

are you using the default Thunderbird 3.0b4 that came with the Opensuse DVD and is also in the OSS repo?
If so - try adding the mozilla buildservice repo and update to Thunderbird 3.0 final and see if that fixes your problems.

The version of Thunderbird I have installed is 3.0.0-1.1.1
What and where exactly is ‘mozilla buildservice repo’? Cannot find any package that matches this in the ‘Yast update software’ list. I have installed all the Thunderbird development packages listed which I thought might be relevant to no avail!

In Yast Software Management choose Configuraion from the menu bar then repositories. In the new window click the ‘Add’ button bottom left then choose Community Repos (2nd on list, I think).
From the new list choose ‘Mozilla’ ‘OK’ ‘Refresh’ and ‘OK’.
Now in your Package list Thunderbird will show as the latest package.

Pete
Your information was great however I already have the latest version of Thunderbird installed and it is this that is giving me the problems. I suspect that it may be a configuration problem but what setting and where located?

I see the same problem but I understand that it is a KDE 4 problem. Upgrading to a newer version is supposed to fix it but I have not tried that yet. It happens with both the beta and the final version.

Yes, correct. Problems of links from Thunderbird not openning in Firefox is a KDE4 problem. Updating shoudl fix.

Follow the instructions here on updating.

This should also fix with the Help menu as this simply opens links in Firefox also.

farcusnz,

Many thanks updating KDE4 as per your instructions has solved the problems, everything now appears to be working perfectly.

KDE 4.3.4 will be released as an official update for 11.2 in the foreseeable future, so that should have a workaround for this Thunderbird problem.

See the bug report for a workaround now:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=551333#c1

Thanks farcusnz for the link worked like a charm for me.