Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome RPM Beta: failed to install

Default Google Chrome RPM Beta: failed to install

subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: warning: /tmp/google-chrome-beta_current_i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 7fac5991 error: Failed dependencies:
    lsb>=3.2 is needed by google-chrome-beta-4.0.249.43-34537.i386
    That is the error message I get when I try to install Google Chrome's RPM for Fedora/openSUSE off the official website (Google Chrome - Get a fast new browser. For PC, Mac, and Linux)

Any suggestions? I'm happy with Firefox for now, but the fact that it is not skinning near the address bar nor the actual menus themselves (when you click on them) makes it ugly. Plus, I'm up for a change - I've been with Firefox for quite a while now.

Thanks,
    Matt.
    I am purposely leaving this signature blank.

Default Re: Google Chrome RPM Beta: failed to install

Just open the YaST installation module and search for "lsb". I'm not sure in which repo I had it, but I think you'll find it pretty easy.. Select it (mine was >4 I think) and install it. Now you can install Chrome with no problems. Keep in mind that afterwards, you have to direct Google Chrome at the plug-ins folder in order to use Flash I think..I haven't done that myself,but I read it in a thread somewhere

...Actually, I just searched on openSUSE's "One-Click" Software installer (online) and installed Chromium. I guess it's basically the same thing as Chrome, just open-source. I guess I'll stick with Chromium until Chrome for Linux is out of Beta.
    I just would like to know why Chromium says it can't detect if it's the default browser (which it isn't) and that it can't change it anyways.

Help?

Blog Entries

You can install chrome by downloading it instead of running software installer on it (which runs rpm). Once you have the file, do zypper in google-chrome-... which will pull in lsb if you don't already have it. Or install lsb first.

Chromium != Chrome. Chromium is the community compiled version, although I suppose the differences will disappear in time since Google released the official version. It's all open source, only that Google didn't release the source for the Chrome Linux port till recently.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    You can install chrome by downloading it instead of running software installer on it (which runs rpm). Once you have the file, do zypper in google-chrome-... which will pull in lsb if you don't already have it. Or install lsb first.

Chromium != Chrome. Chromium is the community compiled version, although I suppose the differences will disappear in time since Google released the official version. It's all open source, only that Google didn't release the source for the Chrome Linux port till recently.
    I installed chrome exactly the same way, the only difference is that I used Yast instead of Zypper ..

And yes, the other difference I have created a local directory on my system where I download rpm's first. I have included this directory as a repo in Yast. So what I do is, download rpm's to this local directory, open Yast, select the rpm I have to install... Then Yast solves all the dependency issues and the install goes fine ...
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540
    Dell 620 S Desktop, 8GB, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, openSuSE Leap 42.1
    +Plasma 5, Kernel 4.1.20-11-default x86_64

Quote Originally Posted by vendetta18 View Post
    I installed chrome exactly the same way, the only difference is that I used Yast instead of Zypper ..

And yes, the other difference I have created a local directory on my system where I download rpm's first. I have included this directory as a repo in Yast. So what I do is, download rpm's to this local directory, open Yast, select the rpm I have to install... Then Yast solves all the dependency issues and the install goes fine ...
    Interesting, I'll have to try that.

Or download the missing dependen(cy)/(cies) myself via Yast and try Google's RPM again.

However, I'm not sure why I should use Chrome if Chromium works perfectly fine. Someone tell me the difference between the two, other than Chromium is community-compiled? I figure that Google themselves will take a bit to get everything down right themselves...

Okay, openSUSE Forums really needs to allow you to edit your posts!

Well, I installed lsb (turns out the tools were installed but not the core itself. )

Google Chrome works fine.

Chromium uninstalled.

Thanks! (Now, let's see if you can "Mark Thread as Solved"!)

EDIT: Okay, whoever's in charge of openSUSE forums needs to check out Ubuntu Forums. They just recently added "Mark Thread As Solved" under the "Thread Tools", and they also have a few features that the SUSE forums don't.

Somebody should look into that.

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:16:02 +0000, SPARTAN-118 wrote:

> Okay, openSUSE Forums -really- needs to allow you to edit your posts!

Editing is generally enabled for a short period; every 10 minutes,
    messages are passed through a gateway to the NNTP server, and at that
    point posts are not able to be edited.

"Mark as solved" has also come up repeatedly over in the forum
    suggestions group - you can read the discussions that have already
    occurred and information about how one can mark a thread as solved.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Moderator

Thumbs up Re: Google Chrome RPM Beta: failed to install

I'm running the Beta on OpenSuse 11.2 64 bit. I have to say it's great and noticeably fast. Bit of manual tweaking for plug ins, but they work fine (64 bit ones too!)
    Just drop the Flash and Java plugins into the Chrome Plugin folder.
    Now then, I'm confused. What is the difference between Google Chrome and Chromium. I know that Chromium is Open Source, but is there any actual difference in them? Does being Open Source affect plugins etc?
    Oh, but I might also add that sections of the OPenSuse web pages do not display as expected when using Chrome, there seems to be a large gap between the headers and content on some page s(noteably the software p[ages)
    Regards and best wishes for the silly season, Peter.
    Last edited by pmccrackan; 19-Dec-2009 at 07:41. Reason: Add more
    Desktop - OpenSuse 11.4 64 bit. LapTop - OpenSUSE 11.4, triple booting with Win7 and Splashtop OS
    Linux is cool! Everything else is a VM.

Quote Originally Posted by pmccrackan View Post
    I'm running the Beta on OpenSuse 11.2 64 bit. I have to say it's great and noticeably fast. Bit of manual tweaking for plug ins, but they work fine (64 bit ones too!)
    Just drop the Flash and Java plugins into the Chrome Plugin folder.
    Now then, I'm confused. What is the difference between Google Chrome and Chromium. I know that Chromium is Open Source, but is there any actual difference in them? Does being Open Source affect plugins etc?
    Oh, but I might also add that sections of the OPenSuse web pages do not display as expected when using Chrome, there seems to be a large gap between the headers and content on some page s(noteably the software p[ages)
    Regards and best wishes for the silly season, Peter.
    Strange, neither Chromium nor Chrome affect the pages for me...

And I never had to install any Flash or Java plugins. Perhaps your problems are related to the fact that you're using 64-bit? I've never used anything other than 32-bit Operating Systems, so I have absolutely no clue what the difference is (besides the obvious, like speed).

There really is no difference between the open source Chromium and the official Chrome. Besides the obvious difference between the fact that you're not using the 'official' release, and the fact that community-managed applications might not keep up with the official updates, I really don't see any diff.

Now, would somebody tell me why I can't set Chrome as my default browser? I did it in the "Default Applications" of "Configure Desktop", and told Chrome to set itself as default, but I never get a "Chrome is the default browser" confirmation in the Options menu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast