Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win 7 partition question

Default Win 7 partition question

I just got a brand new laptop (Dell, if that matters for general installation) for work purposes, and want to install openSUSE in order to work on open source projects - PHP, MySQL, etc.

Now, I know I can choose how to partition my drive via the installation DVD, but would it make more sense to partition it via Windows first, then install in that new partition? I'm just wondering what the easiest way to do it would be.

Also, is there a general rule of thumb for how big the root and home/user partitions should be? A certain ratio or percentage?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Win 7 partition question

NEW Users - Suse-11.2 Pre-installation PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

Backup important stuff, defrag.
    Use the SUSE partitioner Custom Partitioning to grab the space you need. Create an extended partition and then your 3 logicals for Linux in that:
    swap
    /
    /home

11.2 Install Slideshow with Tips - openSUSE Forums

watch it live:
    11.2 Slideshow Images - Windows Live
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Ah, great, the slideshow was exactly what I needed.

Thanks again!

EDIT: What would booting from the MBR do, opposed from booting via root?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM1 View Post
    EDIT: What would booting from the MBR do, opposed from booting via root?
    It would interfere with the Windows bootloader, with unpredictable consequences. In Vista, which has the same bootloader, it prevents installation of service packs, for example. Best avoided.
    Günter

Desk: Leap 42.2, KDE 5, Intel i3, 8Gb, Kingston 64Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

Okay, so boot from root only. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Okay, so boot from root only. Thanks!
    It's a little more complicated than that. Installing Grub to the MBR is probably one of the easiest methods and less complicated - though it is not without issues.
    If you look at my earlier suggestion for partitions and look at this (it may be over your head): All About Grub - openSUSE
    It discusses grub placement.

I put grub on the MBR with Win7. Because it's easy to do a fixmbr if I have to and grub re-install is easy from theCLI setup (hd0)

Having said that. I have a full Win7DVD non OEM version. Repairs, re-installs etc.. are much easier.
    Leap 15_KDE

If I'm reading that correctly (the last advanced section), I wouldn't consider those steps to be an easier solution. Since the Windows side is where I'm going to spend most of my time, I can't neglect updating it when necessary.

Is there something I'm missing from that link? I just don't feel comfortable messing with where Windows places its boot code, and I'm not going to reinstall Windows just to do that after all the time I spent migrating from my desktop.

Actually, wait - here's a hypothetical:

I don't enable booting from the MBR, but just from root. A Windows 7 critical/reboot-necessary update becomes available. Would I only have to put the boot flag on the Windows partition temporarily for it to work? And would I be saved from having to repair Windows since I didn't mess with the MBR?

I just don't want to turn something that takes 5 minutes to accomplish normally into a 45 minute epic journey.

Blog Entries

If I'm reading that correctly (the last advanced section), I wouldn't consider those steps to be an easier solution. Since the Windows side is where I'm going to spend most of my time, I can't neglect updating it when necessary.

Is there something I'm missing from that link? I just don't feel comfortable messing with where Windows places its boot code, and I'm not going to reinstall Windows just to do that after all the time I spent migrating from my desktop.
    You don't need to re-install windows to re-install it's boot code.

But if you want to avoid writing grub to the MBR then this is how I would do it.
    Backup important data. Defrag windows. Use Parted Magic to shrink windows. In the free space you create with the shrink, create one extended partition that uses all the free space. In the extended then create: swap, / (root), /home
    Now boot with the suse install cd/dvd

Then when you get to the install summary under the Booting heading, just make sure Grub is going to Extended
    Like the 2nd pic in this:
    Leap 15_KDE

Wait... create swap, /, and /home with Parted Magic?

And what about the Windows update issue in general?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast