Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blank screen using Nvidia drivers, nv driver works fine

Blog Entries

Default Re: Blank screen using Nvidia drivers, nv driver works fine

Quote Originally Posted by higgers View Post
    After the computer had again booted into runlevel 3 I executed "nvidia-xconfig" and then executed "init 5" and again got a blank screen, however, it's now possible to SSH into the box.
    As opposed to typing "init 5" did you try a simple restart ? There is always the possibility (however very very very slight) that "init 5" is failing to start a process that a nominal reboot will start.

Blog Entries

If I boot to runlevel 5 the usual text scrolls up past the top of the screen and then instead of the KDM login screen appearing I just get a blank screen.
    Is this boot direct to run level 5 (and not via "init5" command) with the nvidia-xconfig created xorg.conf ? or with the sax2 xorg.conf ? or both ?

Yes, I've tried rebooting several times since my last post. Still no success. Very strange.

I've tried rebooting into runlevel 5 with an nvidia-xconfig xorg.conf with no success. "sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia" errors before it can create an xorg.conf. If I uninstall the nvidia drivers and delete xorg.conf then I can boot into runlevel 5 and login into KDE without problem.

Blog Entries

I've tried rebooting into runlevel 5 with an nvidia-xconfig xorg.conf with no success. "sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia" errors before it can create an xorg.conf. If I uninstall the nvidia drivers and delete xorg.conf then I can boot into runlevel 5 and login into KDE without problem.
    Clearly this is very nVidia driver specific. You could try posting about this on the nVidia forum for Linux:
    NVIDIA Linux - nV News Forums

It seems to me like there's something peculiar about this particular PC. I believe I've installed the drivers correctly.

I've updated the BIOS on the motherboard, changed the RAM, removed all other PCIe cards, etc. I'll try the 9500GT in another PC to try and determine if the hardware is faulty.

On 12/11/2009 8:36 AM, higgers was rumored to have said:
    > It seems to me like there's something peculiar about this particular PC.
    > I believe I've installed the drivers correctly.
    >
    > I've updated the BIOS on the motherboard, changed the RAM, removed all
    > other PCIe cards, etc. I'll try the 9500GT in another PC to try and
    > determine if the hardware is faulty.
    >
    >

One other question, do you have an onboard graphics gpu? If so, have you
    tried enabling that to see if you have the same problem? Also, if you
    can post the output of Xorg.0.log. In my case, I actually saw in the log
    that it completely failed to load the driver. If that's the case for
    you, then you can eliminate the card as the problem.

Lightbulb Re: Blank screen using Nvidia drivers, nv driver works fine

I do not believe this is your machine having an issue. Yesterday I ran through a similar situation:

I currently run a dual opteron 2354 system on a Tyan 2915 board with 3ware raid and 8GB ram with the 9500 GT 512MB by evga.

Running OpenSuSE 11.1 w/ nvidia 9500 GT was just fine (except for some development work and issues with python and the RT kernels...)

Wiped out root partition and installed 11.2. Install worked great. Executed the reboot at the end of install...hard lockup.

I figured it was a quirk with 11.2...installed Ubuntu Studio 9.10...same behavior.

Frustrated and tired of troubleshooting, I installed my BFG 7300 GT in tandem with my 9500 GT...nothing. It hard locked on X initialization again.

I removed the 9500 GT and used the 7300 GT...it booted up. I looked in /etc/X11 and there was NO xorg.conf file. I installed the 180 version nvidia driver from the nvidia website, not repos. Ran the nvidia-xconfig and rebooted with the 7300 GT and it was still working.

I powered down and reinstalled the 9500 GT...booted up and started X just fine. I checked nvidia-settings and in the list of devices it showed both the 7300 GT and 9500 GT as active. I plugged the monitor into the 9500 GT DVI port and it worked.

I powered off, removed the 7300 GT, plugged both monitors back into the 9500 GT and booted up. Presto, back in business.

My question for the forum is this:

What happend in X such that no xorg.conf file is present with these new releases? May it have been a failed install step or a new version of X that is supposed to autodetect all configs, but failed?

Blog Entries

OK people. First, /etc/X11/xorg.conf is no longer needed. The errors clearly show that there is a parse error due to a missing identifier line. That would be like this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    EndSection

but, as said xorg.conf is no longer needed.

You may want to install the most recent beta driver "the hard way". Don't run nvidia-xconfig, so you will leave the configuration to the system.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12