Steam games not working

hello all,

I’m unable currently to get some Steam games that worked on my previous system to work for me now. I have an ATI card and it’s taken me a while to get it to work. However I can get Enemy Territory (Wolfenstein) to work so I think I have my graphics driver working properly.

FYI, in the process of trying to install the ATI drivers I knocked out my GUI and had to reinstall 11.2. Once I reinstalled Wine, I got Steam to work. I had installed Steam and downloaded some games before I installed the graphics drivers. I didn’t expect them to work then but I do now that the graphics drivers are installed. However, these games were installed on an installation that I overwrote when I reinstalled 11.2. I’m wondering if that might make a difference.

Also, I’ve never run these games under Linux on this system. My previous system had an Nvidia card. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your attention.

Just to follow up,. I removed then reinstalled wine and reinstalled Steam and downloaded the games again. Still no luck. I don’t think it’s the drivers since Urban Terror plays fine (I’m running IoQuake). Wolf:ET doesn’t play well (takes about a minute to load) but it does run. I’m not running these under wine. Half Life crashes out with a message about being unable to load the filesystem dll “File system crashed during construction”. I’m searching elsewhere also, but any suggestions would be helpful.

To try and help here, your not the only one having issues. Steam released a platform update with one of the game fixes and it seems to have involved some DRM for L4D2, since that i’ve been unable to launch any “Steam” game’s bar HL2, Even Episode Two no longer launches. The error for me atleast seems to be what used to be refered to as a general protection fault… c0000005. Upto now I’ve not found a way around this although i have heard of people creating a new WINEPREFIX with an older version of wine than the latest (1.1.34) for some it seem’s to have cured some problems, for other it has caused a lot more.

For now i think it’s just a wait and pray scenario. The game’s worked prior to 1.1.34 and the steam update, so I’m pretty sure something in the Steam update make’s Wine go bonker’s. But till the Wine Dev’s can chase the problem’s (a ton of them on the Wine forums and mailing list in the last week or so concerning the same problem) we are stuck.

If i do manage to find any work around i will post it to try and help out, but upto now nothing has worked (even Codeweaver Games has trouble with running any of the game’s at the moment. As does Cedega, which leads me to believe this is a “Steam Platform” problem on Wine).

Two thing’s to check on though are in Steam itself (if it runs) check that under the settings for Steam on the “In-Game” Tab that the ingame access to the social network is UNCHECKED. Also check that in the “General” tab it is not being set to “Start with Windows” those two cause a lot of games to crash on start without any error’s at all.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve posted this on WineHQ and the Steam forums. So I’m getting other suggestions also. But I will be sure to check on the two things you mentioned in the last paragraph. Steam itself seems to run fine. I’m currently at work with no access to my home computer until tomorrow.

Hello,

I got some of the games working. The three Dawn of War games now work for me. I followed your advice but also ran winecfg. I wasn’t familiar with that program because I hadn’t needed it last time. I set up the sound using it. The games don’t run perfectly but they run well enough for now. Thanks again.

Half life still crashes out on me though. I’ll post something at winehq when I want to fix that properly.

I’m glad you atleast got some of them going :slight_smile:

Yeah winecfg should be run to setup the audio, but normally aslong as pulseaudio isn’t installed it set’s it up automatically (Pulseaudio isn’t used in KDE OpenSUSE although we can enable support for it).

I’m having the same problem also. Steam appears to be running flawlessly under wine, but none of the game like half-life or counterstrike will even start. It acts as though it is loading the game and then just exits back to the main steam window. I hope this gets fixed soon.:expressionless:

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 02:56:02 +0000, JeremiahMosser wrote:

> but none of the game like half-life or counterstrike will even start. It
> acts as though it is loading the game and then just exits back to the
> main steam window. I hope this gets fixed soon.:expressionless:

I don’t know about Half Life, but HL2, Portal, and HL2 Episode 2 all ran
perfectly here on openSUSE 11.1 under WINE.

What kind of configuration are you running?

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Moderator

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 06:46:33 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

> I don’t know about Half Life, but HL2, Portal, and HL2 Episode 2 all ran
> perfectly here on openSUSE 11.1 under WINE.

I should mention that I didn’t install using Steam, but rather using
installation media. Perhaps that’s the difference?

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Moderator

I’m using wine 1.1.36. I checked out the app database on wine website and it appears that the games all work out of the box, unfortunately mine is not. As far as not installing steam, I’m not sure I even have that option.

The difference does seem to be a lot if you have the install disks or installed through Steam.

The AppDB at Wine imo is out of date with a lot only testing “Steam” and not the game’s it run’s.

Steam is basically a big problem in the way it distribute’s the file’s. Unlike the CD version’s all the steam version’s need to have internet access to allow Steam to check validity of Licences. This seem’s to cause hell.

I’m not sure what if anything can be done Wine side about it as a lot is down to Valve and the DRM now included in Steam.