Where are temp files stored in SuSE 11.0?

Hello, everyone.

Where are temp files stored in SuSE 11.0? I am trying to find all of those videos and .jpgs and other miscellaneous files I’ve downloaded in the past, and which are now only taking up space on my hard drive. I’d like to clean out all of that.

I have looked in both /tmp and in /.kde but don’t see what I’m looking for. (Maybe I’m not seeing what’s right there in front of my face??)

Many thanks.
socref

are U using a mozilla browser?
did U check $HOME/.mozilla
why not use the browser to clean the temp files.
I belive there is a kde application that does this cleans unneeded files I just can’t remember what it’s called

/tmp will contain folders, one of which will be /tmp/kde-*yourusername
This may contain some files, but not usually downloaded files, it would be say if you make an .iso image in k3b - it will store the file there.

Files you download say in Firefox will be saved in the default directory or the one you change it to.

Are you sure you are not keeping downloaded updates etc?
Check: /var/cache/zypp

You didn’t specify which partition it was affecting!?

Hi
/var/cache and /var/tmp maybe. You may have to look at the
application configs to see where it puts them.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.39-0.3-default
up 2 days 17:55, 3 users, load average: 0.94, 0.33, 0.14
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

-------------- socref wrote:

>
> Hello, everyone.
>
> Where are temp files stored in SuSE 11.0? I am trying to find all of
> those videos and .jpgs and other miscellaneous files I’ve downloaded in
> the past, and which are now only taking up space on my hard drive. I’d
> like to clean out all of that.
>
> I have looked in both /tmp and in /.kde but don’t see what I’m looking
> for. (Maybe I’m not seeing what’s right there in front of my face??)
>
> Many thanks.
> socref

usually in ~/Downloads, of try “find /home -name .mp

• rpm packages you installed are stored in subdirectories of /var/cache/zypp/packages
  • To find out where firefox downloads are saved, copy/paste the following in a terminal (or look in Firefox preferences) :
    find ~/.mozilla/firefox -name prefs.js -exec awk ‘/browser.download.dir|browser.download.lastDir/ { print $2 }’ “{}” “;” | tr -d “");”
  • temporary files created by most applications land in /var/tmp or in the directory set in the variable TMPDIR
    . If you have /tmp on a separate partition, /var/tmp should be symlinked to it.
    You can configure the system to automatically delete the content of /tmp (and any other directory listed in TMP_DIRS_TO_CLEAR) by setting the value of CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP to yes in /etc/syconfig/cron. This can be done using the yast sysconfig module under System > Cron :
    sudo /sbin/yast2 sysconfig

I belive there is a kde application that does this cleans unneeded files I just can’t remember what it’s called

/usr/bin/sweeper

or bleachbit

I use bleachbit for cleaning old files:Webpin - bleachbit .
It has a list of different folders and shows you temporary files, so you can see temporary folders for differend applications.

As I understand KDE keeps its temporary files and folders in /tmp and has symlinks to them in ~/.kde .

Firefox in ~/.mozilla/firefox/[some_random_string]/Cache .

Many thanks to all who replied. I found lots of junk to delete in .mozilla/firefox/…/cache. Also found stuff to delete in /tmp/kde-<my name>. Cleaned them out. But it’s amazing how quickly .mozilla/firefox/…/cache fills up again.

I also looked for the utility mentioned: /usr/bin/sweeper but it’s not on my pooter. So I went to try to get it using the YaST package manager, but searching for “sweeper” I only found two references to a game and one reference to a KDE4 security utility. Since I don’t use KDE4 I did not grab that one.

Where can I find sweeper so I can use it to clean my files?

Thx!
socref

-------------- socref wrote:

> Where can I find sweeper so I can use it to clean my files?

http://www.google.de/search?q=sweeper+linux

It’s really not necessary, just use the Tools - Clear recent History in FF

and do
Clear Temp Files at Boot - openSUSE Forums

Why don’t U limit the cache size?
in firefox type this URI:
about:config

filter the keyword: cache
and set browser.cache.disk.capacity between 100000 and 200000 (100M and 200M) when your browser fills up the cache it will reuse it and it won’t go above the set limit (mine is 200M)

I checked and mine is set at 51,200. (I assume that’s the default.)
Maybe I’m not understanding. If I set it between 100,000 and 200,000 won’t that allow even more junk to accumulate?

thx
socref

You are quite correct
You can also view this in the Prefs - Advanced - network - Offline Cache

In theory the junk is for our benefit.

• Firefox has an addon called Configuration Mania. It basically adds a GUI to about:config.

• About:Config entries is a good reference page that describes all preference variables (mostly).

• I use the FireFox All-in-one-sidebar, and it has a pull down for all the about:'s. Like “about:cache?device=disk” or “about:support”.

• You can change where FireFox keeps its temporary directory by adding:
    Browser.cache.disk.parent directory, and then use YaST sysconfig variables for cron/tmp to cleanup on boot.

• Just came across bleachbit mentioned in this forum. Looks like it’ll do a good job cleaning up junk left by applications, among other things.

its in /home/akshay/.cache/mozilla/firefox/

You ought to adjust your calendar mate;)