View Poll Results: What is your favorite video player?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • VLC

66 46.81%
  • SMplayer

38 26.95%
  • Kaffeine (what???)

19 13.48%
  • Xine

2 1.42%
  • Gxine

0 0%
  • Totem

5 3.55%
  • Gnome Mplayer

1 0.71%
  • Traditional Mplayer GUI

2 1.42%
  • Other

8 5.67%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Video Player?

Default Re: Favorite Video Player?

VLC plays everything and it always works. 'Nuff said.

I like Kaffeine. It has nice UI that i find very well structured Dragon player is also nice and simple but i don't think many people would call it their first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Siminin View Post
    I like Kaffeine. It has nice UI that i find very well structured Dragon player is also nice and simple but i don't think many people would call it their first choice.
    Yes but the fact I cant configure it makes Kaffeine in KDE4 a sour lemon, it was so much better in KDE3.
    In the KDE3 version I could tell it where my DVD/CD drives are, and I could also set it up to autoplay.
    And dont get me started on that no good piece of **** Dragonplayer.
    https://features.opensuse.org/308357

I think the cool thing with smplayer is it remembers where you last where when watching any content. I could be wrong but have not seen that feature in other players or front ends.

I was using vlc before, now that I was able to buy a newer pc and can run a good number of applications, I discovered smplayer to be my 1st choice. Also with sm player installation it's like you hit two birds with one bullet coz it will not install w/out mplayer being an mplayer front end.

Quote Originally Posted by elkhornr View Post
    I think the cool thing with smplayer is it remembers where you last where when watching any content. I could be wrong but have not seen that feature in other players or front ends.
    this is the exact reason why i switched to smplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by TaraIkeda View Post
    Yes but the fact I cant configure it makes Kaffeine in KDE4 a sour lemon, it was so much better in KDE3.
    In the KDE3 version I could tell it where my DVD/CD drives are, and I could also set it up to autoplay.
    And dont get me started on that no good piece of **** Dragonplayer.
    I have no problem with DVDs and Kaffeine. And what about Dragon player, it's simple and nice. And it "it remembers where you last where when watching any content" so there is another player with this feature

Quote Originally Posted by Axeia View Post
    So did you VLC folks try SMPlayer? I'm curious as to why people are using certain players.
    (if you use playlists I can certainly understand preferring VLC over SMPlayer)

nitpicking imo , but yeah MPlayer itself could have been part of the poll although I can hardly imagine anyone using it. That said, I do sometimes use it when SMPlayer acts up - this is nearly always due to corrupt files which MPlayer doesn't seem to mind as much as SMPlayer does.
    No, it's not nitpicking. That's like saying that my h264enc is an ENCODER while it's merely a FRONT-END to an encoder, but it doesn't encode by itself. Take away mplayer and SMPlayer becomes useless, unless one adapts it to use another engine

And you can hardly imagine anyone using bare MPlayer? Are you kidding me? There are thousands of people using MPlayer directly without a front-end, come to #mplayer IRC and see for yourself

SMPlayer, mainly because it's unobtrusive and due to somewhat stable vdpau implementation in MPlayer.

Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    No, it's not nitpicking. That's like saying that my h264enc is an ENCODER while it's merely a FRONT-END to an encoder, but it doesn't encode by itself. Take away mplayer and SMPlayer becomes useless, unless one adapts it to use another engine
    In a topic like this it's nitpicking, you start it up and it plays media, that it using mplayer isn't something you don't really notice.

Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    And you can hardly imagine anyone using bare MPlayer? Are you kidding me? There are thousands of people using MPlayer directly without a front-end, come to #mplayer IRC and see for yourself
    Well via the commandline it's quite useful (use it to create thumbnails), but I meant the default GUI. That strange blue thing with tiny buttons and a seperate window with the actual video.
    Special effects <- KDE 4.2 Showing off
    More KDE -> PINK KDE

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast