Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Koffice vs Open Office

Default Koffice vs Open Office

What does features does Koffice give you over Open Office and vice versa. I have heard that Koffice is not compatible with MS Office. If so why would anyone want to use it over Open Office?
    Joshua Gompert

Default Re: Koffice vs Open Office

Well koffice does blend in well with the rest of KDE, but other then that I see no real reason to use it instead of openoffice.
    https://features.opensuse.org/308357

Speed

Better handling of .txt to .odt conversions

The whole Unicode sequence. There are several characters which are used in MS Word documents which are not available in OpenOffice but by opening a KWord document and importing them from KWord, it is possible to include them in an OpenOffice document.

I like KOffice better because it blends well with KDE and more light weight than OpenOffice. However, it is practically difficult to use only this office suite because MS Office format compatibility is very limited now and there is no such promises to have full support.

OpenDcument format is supported and it may be possible to use this suite once more people start accepting OpenDocument standard. (Even M$ Office started supporting it even though current support is of pathetic quality).
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro
    Latest MS Windows version used: Win95

Right now (and for the foreseeable future) it's no contest. Use OpenOffice.
    Günter

Desk: Tumbleweed, KDE 5, AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 16Gb, 120Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

On the contrary, I use KWord all the time for letters, my own notes and drafts because it is so much quicker and easier to use than OpenOffice and isn't contaminated with bad habits from MS Word. If I need to send a .doc file to anyone, I open the same file in OpenOffice and save it out as doc.

The only things for which I use OpenOffice as first choice are when editing a .doc or WordPerfect file from someone else or when using multiple languages where OpenOffice is way ahead of KWord.

Hi,

Koffice is a great option unless you need the msoffice compatibility, in which case OpenOffice is probably the best choice, Abiword is also a nice lightweight word processor, with (limited) msword compatibility.

Don't feel you have to choose one and stick to it, you can have both and use each for different purposes.

I personally use OpenOffice, as many of my lecturers choose to save everything as msword documents.

Regards,
    Barry.
    Desktop: openSUSE 11.3 (x86) LXDE
    Laptop: Arch Linux (x86_64) GNOME 3

Jon_Freeman NNTP User

I normally use OpenOffice. The last time I used KOffice was about a month ago. Believe it or not OO Calc had got in a terrible mess with one of its spreadsheets. Kept wanting to restore it and crashing when I tried to open it. Opening and then saving it with KSpread resolved it.

I'm glad to have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Nichols View Post
    I personally use OpenOffice, as many of my lecturers choose to save everything as msword documents.
    Isn't that annoying? I'm at the Open University, and they not only require you to send them electronic documents in .doc format, they send them back as .exes.

You would have thought a blinking university would see beyond this 'it's popular so it's the right standard' numbskullery by now...

Quote Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
    Isn't that annoying? I'm at the Open University, and they not only require you to send them electronic documents in .doc format, they send them back as .exes.

You would have thought a blinking university would see beyond this 'it's popular so it's the right standard' numbskullery by now...
    I don't find it that annoying, as I just open the MSoffice files in OpenOffice.

They even have OpenOffice installed on all of the computers in the labs.

I can see it would be annoying if they required me to work with only MSdoc files, or sent files as .exe. But luckily I'm not required to submit anything as .doc files, I submit either on paper or as pdf (unless it's source code of course).

Regards,
    Barry.
    Desktop: openSUSE 11.3 (x86) LXDE
    Laptop: Arch Linux (x86_64) GNOME 3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast