Lost my taskbar

Hi,
I have just installed 12.1. My first experience of using Linux.
I have somehow closed the bottom taskbar/frame and now have no easy way to get to these applications. I have spent an hour or so trying to restore it.
Could someone kinldy tell me how to restore the default taskbar/frame please?
Many thanks,
Paul:(

12.1?

Which desktop you are using?

Sorry, should have thought of that.
KDE.
Thanks,
Paul

I assume that you are running 11.2 with KDE4.3.1, which is stable too.

Now right click on the desktop and click ‘add panel’, it will add the panel and play with it to organize it.
To add stuffs to that panel, right click and click “add widgets” and add taskbar,application lanucher etc etc.

I will not give the idea to delete .kde4, because you will loose all the configuration you made. So try the above method and hope everything will be OK with that.

Thanks for that. This works but resizing/rearranging is completely unintuitive. I just want to get the original sizing/icons etc.
Could you tell me how to restore the original settings please. Nothing to lose if it all goes wrong.
Goodness, now I know why Linux is only for people with plenty of time to waste. I haven’t even begun doing any work yet…

Many thanks for your help again.

Try the following command in Konsole

~/.kde/share/config/plasma*

(and log out / log back in - Or if you’re feeling like doing something interesting hit ctrl+escape and kill the ‘plasma-desktop’ task and then hit ctrl+f2 and type in plasma-desktop and hit enter)
That should restore the default settings. Unlike windows its KDEs aim to provide flexibility so yes things might be less intuitive… on the bright side, you can completely remove the taskbar and replace it with something fancier without any 3rd party applications.

> Goodness, now I know why Linux is only for people with plenty of time
> to waste.

i know what you mean…every time i go to a net cafe or library and
have to use Windows i am totally lost and have to waste hours trying
to figure out how to get anything done…it is just
terrible…completely unintuitive!! precisely why i left their
software in 1995, months before the midnight rush…

and, then someone like you comes to Linux expecting everything to be
done the Redmond way and you have to go through a habit unlearning
process too…

like, i’ve never deleted my taskbar in Linux, ever…but, i seem to
find a half dozen ways to kill Windows by accident every time i try to
just send an email!

it is the blue screen of time wasters…

palladium