Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE 4.4 Beta 1 experiences

Default KDE 4.4 Beta 1 experiences

While some may consider it bleeding edge i must say KDE 4.4 Beta 1 is really great, and while there are some small quirks then as a whole the system runs great, it is noticeably faster, a lot faster. It gets prettier, more stable even for a beta. Some places have been changed, there is a "netbook mode". Overall it is getting to be even better than 4.3, kudos for KDE developers !!!!!

Has anyone else tested the 4.4 Beta 1? What are your experiences?
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE 4.4 Beta 1 experiences

Not yet. But hey: How about a summary of the changes you made to get this running?
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

First i have exported my current packages list with YaST to safely fall back in case something doesn't work (top left corner File -->> export), then i added the UNSTABLE repositories, deactivated the 43 repositories and updated every package that showed blue

My zypper lr

# | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh
    ---+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------+---------+--------
    1 | DVD_ISO_32bit | DVD_ISO_32bit | Yes | No
    2 | Fisiu_1 | Fisiu | No | Yes
    3 | KDE_4.4_Unstable | KDE 4.4 Unstable | Yes | Yes
    4 | KDE_4.4_Unstable_Community | KDE 4.4 Unstable Community | Yes | Yes
    5 | KDE_4.4_Unstable_Playground | KDE 4.4 Unstable Playground | Yes | Yes
    6 | KDE_43 | KDE 43 | No | No
    7 | KDE_Playground_1 | KDE 43 Playground | No | No
    8 | OSS | OSS | Yes | No
    9 | download.opensuse.org-Community_1 | KDE 43 Community | No | No
    10 | download.opensuse.org-standard_1 | Contrib | Yes | Yes
    11 | ftp.skynet.be-suse | Packman | Yes | Yes
    12 | openSUSE-11.2-Update | openSUSE-11.2-Update | Yes | Yes
    13 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes
    14 | repo-non-oss_1 | NON-OSS | Yes | Yes
    15 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | Yes | Yes

Second repo is for my beloved IM so ignore it

Happy testing and reporting bugs
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Blog Entries

Thanks for that info Bender
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I haven't tried it yet, but read some article about it yesterday. They also mentioned about the usability and functionality in a positive manner even in beta stage. Also saw some images of it. Agree, it looks more prettier and more professional.
    Looking forward to 4.4 final.
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

Of course I have to try out the new shiny stuff!

This beta is definitely a beta. Crashes and random stuff not working. For example, if I go to set the global keyboard shortcuts for Kwin, when I choose back to go to Configure Desktop again, it crashes. Also, everytime I log in, the desktop doesn't show up. I have to go to Desktop and change the workspace form factor to netbook then back to desktop.

Another thing. Netbook. It seems like a nice interface. Everything's compacted to make use of the screen. The panel is set to auto-hide so windows can take the whole screen. I myself prefer the Desktop form factor. Also Kwin now provides the windows 7 like Drag window to top of screen to maximize, Drag window to left or right side of screen to scale it to one half of screen. You can disable these and set the edges for things like enabling the cube when you drag a window over to another desktop, but it's still quite interesting.

And last but not least with my limited testing so far, Amarok has an equalizer again

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    Another thing. Netbook. It seems like a nice interface. Everything's compacted to make use of the screen. The panel is set to auto-hide so windows can take the whole screen. I myself prefer the Desktop form factor. Also Kwin now provides the windows 7 like Drag window to top of screen to maximize, Drag window to left or right side of screen to scale it to one half of screen. You can disable these and set the edges for things like enabling the cube when you drag a window over to another desktop, but it's still quite interesting.
    Yes. As long as the end user has the choice to disable / enable it, it's a welcomed change. Unlike Win7.....

Any screenshots from you guys who tried it?
    openSUSE 11.3 GM + M$ Win Vista HP TX1316au AMD Athlon 64 X2 Mobile TK-55, nVidia GeForce Go 6150

openSUSE 11.3 GM + M$ Win 7 HP dm-3 AMD Neo X2 L335, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200

i am kinda liking it , although has some bugs that 4.3.77 didnt have.

my main problem is kwin keyboard shortcuts not working after loading the desktop. i have to do kwin --replace afterwards, and only then my kwin keyboard shortcuts work

other than that , its a great release , kde 4.4

offtopic : bender blender rodriguez , i am trying your kernel 2.6.32 from buildservice. any special guide as to use it properly ? ( missing compcache )

here you go , a fast one

Last edited by yagami; 05-Dec-2009 at 02:34. Reason: image link size , hope its smaller

Nice. About the speed, how does it compares to KDE 3.5? What about Amarok?
    openSUSE 11.3 GM + M$ Win Vista HP TX1316au AMD Athlon 64 X2 Mobile TK-55, nVidia GeForce Go 6150

openSUSE 11.3 GM + M$ Win 7 HP dm-3 AMD Neo X2 L335, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast