Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm new to this. Can someone help me install?

Default Re: I'm new to this. Can someone help me install?

ThanksI'm going to install right now my version. I'll use the other version on my desktop. Thanks to all who helped and I'll blog back anything else that comes up.

I am in the KDE set-up process now. So far I got everything done, but the partitioning seems confusing. I need 90GB for XP and 25 for openSUSE. First off will this be enough, and secondly how can I do this?

(note: this is not the same question from before. I didn't actually know what the set-up was at that time)

25 gig is enough for a basic install if you don't plan on storing lots of data on your Linux partitions. Should give plenty of room to play with. recommend 1 gig to swap 15 gig to root (/) and the rest to home (/home)

Personally I prefer to prepare the disk before install by resizing the existing partitions before hand. You could do this with a bootable distro like gparted. But any time you change partitions sizes you should seriously consider backing up your important data first. If something like lost power interrupted the process it is very possible that you will lose everything. Just a word of caution

Good, I already did that. I'm conserned about my install now though. I'm in the middle of installing and I want to partition directly from the KDE download in the Drives section. Does anyone know how to help me from this point?

Blog Entries

You want to use Custom Partitioning. This slideshow walks that direction
    11.2 Slideshow Images - Windows Live

But you need some understanding of the principles and practices of partitioning. If you don't, then let the installer do a default install.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

hakanthepan NNTP User

Hello all,

I've just come accross with openSUSE and I have downloaded both live and installation programs. I tested livecd and it worked so well that I think I can completely dump vista. But before I get to that point I want to use both Vista and Linux for a while.
    If you can help me with my questions I'd appreciate it.

1- I have an extra partition - aprox. 25 gi - that I never use. My understaning is it is sufficent. Can I install openSUSE on that partition, instead of carving another one while installing
    2- When I boot with openSUSE, can I access other partitions and my other data?

Thanks,

Hakan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hakanthepan View Post
    Hello all,

I've just come accross with openSUSE and I have downloaded both live and installation programs. I tested livecd and it worked so well that I think I can completely dump vista. But before I get to that point I want to use both Vista and Linux for a while.
    If you can help me with my questions I'd appreciate it.

1- I have an extra partition - aprox. 25 gi - that I never use. My understaning is it is sufficent. Can I install openSUSE on that partition, instead of carving another one while installing
    2- When I boot with openSUSE, can I access other partitions and my other data?

Thanks,

Hakan
    1. Yes you can use that but 25GB is only just enough because I wouldn't use any less than 10GB for / (root)
    You could manage with 1GB swap and the remainder for /home
    2. Yes. But if you want to write to it, we will have to edit a config file.
    Leap 15_KDE

hakanthepan NNTP User

Thanks for the info.
    Yes, probably I will want to write to other partition because I want to keep my photos there. And use gimps on linux partition.
    Please let me know how to edit the file.
    After my installation I will come back to the forum.

Blog Entries

If the other partition is windows, probably ntfs
    Look at this:
    FSTAB - Editing Manually - openSUSE Forums
    Leap 15_KDE

Quote Originally Posted by Nothin_on_me View Post
    And yes, I did. I tried KDE4, which is similar to my old version. I like it, but Im still not completly sure. I can always change it later or change the color anyway.
    Yes+. I wasn't sure whether this was apparent to you, but you can install several GUIs alongside one another in a single version of SUSE.

Both KDE and gnome can be changed in appearance quite significantly from the default, if that's your kind of thing. the colours are just the start of it...

Once you have one GUI (KDE, Gnome, XFCE or others) installed, you can go into the package manager and click on the bits for another -look for something like 'base system'- and the system will pull down the appropriate bits. this won't be a particularly tiny download, but it may be easier than deciding which you want before installing.

If you have multiple GUIs installed, when you log in, you will get the choice (not necessarily obvious, but its there, once you have specified the user that you want to log in as) and you can specify which GUI you want to use on a login-by-login basis.

On my laptop, on which I tend to be a bit free and easy with downloading bits 'n pieces that I want to try out, I have about 11 G in use on a 20 G partition for /, so I suspect you will get away with a roughly 15G partition and use about 8 or 9 G of it. The amount of space you will use on /home is largely dependant on what sort of work you do on it. Media files tend to be really rather big, but if you only do office stuff and surfing, you won't have many of those.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast