Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opensuse 11.2 and dosemu

Default Opensuse 11.2 and dosemu

I have just installed 11.2 and most things are now working but I am having a problem with dosemu. If I start it from a terminal I get "segmentation fault" If I start it as root, it works ok. I assume it is a permissions problem but I cannot find it! Any help gratefully received!

Default Re: Opensuse 11.2 and dosemu

all is NOT well : I have exactly the same prob . . . can only use Dosemu as Root

Plus, a DOS program that I need and which worked perfectly, on OpenSuSE 10.3 & Dosemu - now that essential [to me] DOS application will NOT run, and complains that some "File Missing" [but does not indicate what file is missing]

The Applic. authors cannot find the prob - they conclude there is something wrong in Dosemu for OpenSuSE 11.2

. . . anyone, please, go any poss solution??

thanks
    Anna

I now remember that I had this problem when I went to 11.1 and that I found a solution but I cannot remember what it was!
    (A sign of advancing age!)

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=551799
    Setting vm.mmap_min_addr to 0 does not help.

Thanks

- I do hope this gets fixed . . . it is troublesome needing to run Dosemu as Rootn - and it seems possible there is now some bug entered dosemu, because an old Dos program that ran faultlessly under openSuSE 10.3 now fails when run as Root under OpenSuSE 11.2

- living in hope

Blog Entries

Interesting, I just tried dosemu on 11.1 and indeed it segfaults. If you search on the error message "LOWRAM mmap: Invalid argument", it seems that dosemu fails to work on lots of distros due to the issue explained here:

SourceForge.net: DOSEmu - freedos

The workaround is mentioned there. I wish one didn't didn't have to do that because it reduces security. However if that workaround doesn't work on 11.2, there may be additional barriers, perhaps apparmor.

Good luck.

PS: If desperate perhaps you can run DOS inside a VM.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    However if that workaround doesn't work on 11.2, there may be additional barriers, perhaps apparmor.
    Additionally deactivating Apparmor with Yast does not help either. What to do next?

Quote Originally Posted by mse1 View Post
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=551799
    Setting vm.mmap_min_addr to 0 does not help.
    However it seems to be the default on Ubuntu (according to cat /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr), where DOSEMU as user works.

It seems that apparmor overrides the vm.mmap_min_addr setting and it is not possible to change it by an apparmor profile for dosemu.
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=551799#c9
    Apparmor must be completely switched off by apparmor=0 boot parameter.

Dosemu
    ______

"Apparmor must be completely switched off by apparmor=0 boot parameter."

Hello mse1 : thank you thank you thank you :

This is very important information

best regards
    Anna

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast