Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.2 Boxed Edition?

Default 11.2 Boxed Edition?

Seems strange that Novell America still is not selling 11.2; it seemed that in the past the latest version of Opensuse was available for pre-order; What is going on?

Blog Entries

Default Re: 11.2 Boxed Edition?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET
    Seems strange that Novell America still is not selling 11.2; it seemed
    that in the past the latest version of Opensuse was available for
    pre-order; What is going on?
    Hi
    See post #3 here;
    http://forums.opensuse.org/looking-s...l-version.html

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
    up 3 days 4:25, 2 users, load average: 0.38, 0.32, 0.25
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    Seems strange that Novell America still is not selling 11.2; it seemed that in the past the latest version of Opensuse was available for pre-order; What is going on?
    It's not that it's not selling. We have several requests, but we also have some other details to take care of. We apologize for the delay and are working hard to get openSUSE 11.2 Boxed sets to North America (my land) as fast as we can.

We are hoping to make it available in the next couple weeks, but we can't make any promises yet.

If you want to get on the list, pm me and I'll give you further instructions.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

While it is obvious more DVD's are downloaded than bought, I think Linux will never be a desktop mainstream until users are willing to actually pay for it!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    While it is obvious more DVD's are downloaded than bought, I think Linux will never be a desktop mainstream until users are willing to actually pay for it!
    I know. Linux may be free and all that, but seriously: a desktop OS that's only available as an ISO file for download is not worth comparing to an OS that is also sold on a CD/DVD. And quite a few people don't even know what an 'ISO' file is.
    "Darkness called But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69 Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "Pick up the phone, Darkness!," but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls."

Blog Entries

That's what you think. My kids think that getting an OS for free from the web is as normal as getting other things for free from the web. I just asked them. They think others better should get used to that.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I just want to say that I think any boxed edition ought to include "things other than software/manuals". Apple ships their machines and OS updates with those "Apple logo" stickers. OpenSUSE should include something comparable (my vote is for a relaunch of those plushie/soft toy chameleons - one of my friends has one and has been rejecting offers from a lot of people to buy it, it's (1) adorable, and (2) very distinctive)

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    That's what you think. My kids think that getting an OS for free from the web is as normal as getting other things for free from the web. I just asked them. They think others better should get used to that.
    I am using a free version of 11.2 right now! In my opinion, I think 11.2 with Gnome is as good or better than Win. 7, so I am not a curmudgeon about all this, but there is a central flaw in the business model of linux in that development costs are completely divorced from user costs and until a solution to this problem is found, linux will never compete effectively against MS in the US market, although I realize linux is dominant in India and China, and perhaps much of Europe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by build6 View Post
    I just want to say that I think any boxed edition ought to include "things other than software/manuals".
    openSUSE-11.1 boxed edition included stickers and a complimentary flash light. The 11.2 boxed version does not. Possibly a sign of tougher economic times?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    openSUSE-11.1 boxed edition included stickers and a complimentary flash light. The 11.2 boxed version does not. Possibly a sign of tougher economic times?
    Awww... there goes my incentive
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast