No /var/log/syslog

The title says it all: I can’t find the syslog file on my system and I have no idea where to start troubleshooting

I’m using openSUSE 11.2.

Please help.

See /var/log/messages

Are you coming from a Debian system by any chance? On openSUSE the destinations of syslog log files are declared in /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf. /var/log/messages is the main destination. On distros still using syslog instead of syslog-ng, the declarations are in /etc/syslog.conf.

Start Yast, go ‘Various’. There’s an item there for the boot log, and there’s an item there for the system log. FYI the ‘syslog’ is not used anymore, it’s all in /var/log/messages

Good luck

Thanks for the clarification, guys :slight_smile:

Yes, I’m coming from Ubuntu/GNOME and I’m pretty confused after changing to (the very different) openSUSE. :-/

Debian/Ubuntu is actually the odd one out here. Most (all?) RPM descended distros use /var/log/messages. But all the filenames are configurable, typical for Unix/Linux utilities.

chguy wrote:

>I’m pretty confused after changing to (the very different) openSUSE. :-/

but but but, if it wasn’t different it would be named Ubuntu… :wink:

lots of differences…all better!! :wink:

explore…

and, if you wish you could document the differences as you get
confused (and then find the solution) and build a tutorial for
migration from Ubuntu to openSUSE…

some of the philosophical differences are contained in this Wiki
page: http://en.opensuse.org/Concepts

but, truthfully most all of that is written for the Redmond Ship
Jumper, and not for someone moving among Linux distros…

as far as i know there is no single list of differences, but there
should be…

palladium

Not anymore. 11.2 uses rsyslog like Ubuntu. The logfiles are declared in /etc/rsyslog.conf.

Ah, that’s interesting, I hadn’t noticed on the machines I installed 11.2 on. Just looked at the home page, lots of interesting features. Oh goody.