Evolution is missing some icons in 11.2

My Evolution client is showing me the “missing icon” icon for the “Send / Receive” button as well as the icon for a meeting request.

I am running Evolution (a GNOME app) on KDE, which I hope is a supported combination…?

Am I missing an icon package? If so, can someone tell me which one?

Thanks!

Do you have the Gnome icon package installed?

I think so - I have the following, which one do you think I’m missing?

~> rpm -qa | grep icon
OpenOffice_org-icon-theme-oxygen-3.1.1.4-1.1.4.noarch
OpenOffice_org-icon-theme-crystal-3.1.1.4-1.1.4.noarch
gnome-icon-theme-2.28.0-2.2.noarch
OpenOffice_org-icon-theme-galaxy-3.1.1.4-1.1.4.noarch
OpenOffice_org-icon-theme-hicontrast-3.1.1.4-1.1.4.noarch
oxygen-icon-theme-4.3.1-2.1.noarch
oxygen-icon-theme-scalable-4.3.1-2.1.noarch
hicolor-icon-theme-0.10-105.2.noarch

Hi,

I have the same problem. I installed the default kde4 and after that installed evolution by the package manager. Now the send/receive button is missing the icon (instead is a red cross).

best regards,

Joris

Me too, but since that’s the least of my problems with Evolution, I haven’t bothered to look very deeply.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn’t be so negative, but I’ll leave it anyway to add “gravitas” to the post. :wink:

… but since that’s the least of my problems with Evolution, I haven’t bothered to look very deeply

Can you give more details? I am evaluating switching my work laptop from 11.1 to 11.2 and Evolution has to work. What problems do you see?

I have the icon missing that the OP was talking about.

I also have a thread open about default browser under Evolution running under KDE. It defaults to Epiphany and no-one can seem to help me to change the default. More worrying is that if you have more than one or two emails to expunge, I get a message at the bottom that says “Error expunging emails” (or something like that) and the only way I can get the mails deleted is to delete all the Evolution “*index” files and restart.

Then it works fine for an hour or two and it starts again.

I’m not a really happy camper - I updated from SUSE 10.3 to 11.2.

@msr7x57: I put the fix to the Firefox link problem in your other thread.

I can’t reproduce your expunge problem. I emptied my trash with lots of emails and it was happy. Are you using IMAP or POP?

Hi - I’ll answer you in the other thread.

Hi,

By now my evolution has no missing send/receive icon. I don’t know for sure how I fixed it though. I noticed that the mail-send-receive.png icon wasn’t present in the /usr/share/icons/oxygen/??x??/actions directory. So i copied the icons from /usr/share/icons/tango/??x??/actions/mail-send-receive.png to the oxygen directory. This didn’t seem to work so I copied the mail-send-receive.png to some more icon direcoty’s. Nothing seemed to work, however the next day (after a restart) the icon was ok.

greetz Joris

That’s another good lead to solving the mystery!
I can tell you why the next day it was OK: you probably ran an update or installed a package. You have to run SuSEconfig as root to apply those icon changes.

With your tip, I got the Send/Receive button, but there’s a whole whack of them still missing.

However, I did not have a ‘tango’ folder in my /usr/share/icons. I assume you installed the icon-theme-tango. Did you do that on purpose, or was installed by something else?

I FINALLY found a workaround for this!

In essence, what’s happening is that KDE is trying to impose its Oxygen theme on Evolution and this theme lacks the proper icons. You can either try to merge all the /usr/share/icon/gnome icons with the usr/share/icon/oxygen and then run SuSEconfig (NOT TESTED, try at your own peril).

Or, give up on this fight and tell KDE to not impose any theme mapping:
put an empty, hidden file called .no-qtrc-to-gtkrc-mapping in your home folder:

cd
touch .no-qtrc-to-gtkrc-mapping

This will make Evolution look like it’s run in a GNOME setting and all icons are there!

After installing the send/receive icon I’m only missing (that I noticed) two or maybe three icons. These are located in calendar/tasks/memos. I think the better solution for me would be to solve these view missing icons (as disabling kde theming for gnome/gtk will also effect firefox).

regards,

Joris

If it doesn’t bother you, I guess you’re all set, but I had a ton more missing - click the dropdown next to the “New” button on the main toolbar, for example. Also, the icon for “Meeting request” is missing, etc. etc.

And since I hardly use Firefox anymore (Chrome all the way), I’m OK with Firefox being a bit “bulky”.

I’m not too impressed with the response on this bug in the Novell Bugzilla. It’s a heavily sponsored Novell product and there is absolutely no response to this, even though it was identified as a problem in the pre-releases.

Ironic, isn’t it - a Novell sponsored product that doesn’t work on KDE - the “preferred” Window Manager for openSUSE - wait! also a Novell sponsored initiative.

Hi,

Finally found a better solution. I create a symlink from the directory /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/stock to /usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/stock and from the directory /usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/stock to /usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/stock. After this I ran SuSeconfig and this solved the missing icons problem for me :slight_smile:

regards,

Joris

Thanks - I’ll give that a try.

Would anyone know why there is no “stock” icons in the oxygen theme? Are those GNOME only icons perhaps? Or were they simply missed?

Evolution works just great in Gnome.