Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .iso image burning problem

Hybrid View

Default .iso image burning problem

Hello,

after successfull burning of .iso image to dvd media in k3b, I do "media check" in yast. Somehow it fails and I get back "the medium does not contain a md5 checksum" .. Also dvd media is not booting in dvd drive as it should, after loading kernel I get an error "make sure that cd number 1 is in your drive", It fails to continue with installation.

Thank you.

Default Re: .iso image burning problem

That means there was no "successful burning".

Did you check the md5sum of your iso *before* burning?

As for the actual burning, I usually do it from the command line:

Code:
    cdrecord dev=/dev/sr0 speed=4 driveropts=burnproof -eject -v isofile
    Then the media check must run without any error. Otherwise there is no use in continuing.

I have burned as you have suggested, but I still get back same reply from computer as mentioned above. However I find it strange that suse 11.1, and some other distros which were all working before fails now. But when burning to a cd media all works just fine. After updating bios, resetting cmos, changing ide cable, and cd/dvd drives I'm running out of ideas what else to do..

I'm running out of ideas what else to do.
    So do I. Lack of experience, because this part of the installation always worked fine for me. Did you do a media check resulting in ok this time? Maybe you post the details about your hardware setup and some guru will come along and may have better ideas what to do next.

First thing after download I checked .iso for errors with "yast - media check" result was "medium has been successfully verified", but after successfull burning with k3b, and the method you suggested I get "the medium does not contain a md5 checksum" after running "media check" .. The result is that I can't install opensuse ..

Liljoe1981 NNTP User

Try right clicking the iso file and then telling it to burn. I had to do it that way last night when I updated to 11.2. It may be worth a shot.

It sounds like there are errors on the image, did you download it? What is it, anyway? Try downloading again, this time looking for a checksum file (*.md5, *.sha1) or a GPG key. After downloading, check the integrity of the ISO with something like

md5sum -c filename.iso.md5

You should see a message like "filename.iso OK." If not, the source may be corrupt, or the download is failing.

I have checked file with in konsole ...
    md5sum -c openSUSE-11.2-DVD-x86_64.iso
    md5sum: openSUSE-11.2-DVD-x86_64.iso: no properly formatted MD5 checksum lines found

How come I get above result, when "yast media check" returns "the medium has been successfully verified"

Also I find strange, that empty dvd media is not recognized by "device notifier" in kde, but it gets recognied by k3b??

At the same time I get md5sum -c openSUSE-11.2-CD-LIVE-x86_64.iso
    md5sum: openSUSE-11.2-CD-LIVE-x86_64.iso: no properly formatted MD5 checksum lines found

for the CD version, but after burned to a cd media it boots normal??

Blog Entries

That's the wrong way to invoke md5sum. When you use -c, you are asking it to read a file with lines in this format:

long-md5-sum filename
    another-long-md5-sum another-filename

and then check filenames, and compare their signatures with the declared checksums.

To just check a file, do

Code:
    md5sum openSUSE-11.2-DVD-x86_64.iso
    and compare the result against the declared sum. It might be worth using -b since it's not a text file.

PS: I see that chief_sealth gave you the instructions, but notice that he told you to run it on the .md5 file, not the .iso file. The .md5 file contains lines in the format I just described.

@ken_yap

Thank you for pointing me to the rigth direction ..
    Yes, now it returns "md5sum openSUSE-11.2-DVD-x86_64.iso
    6a09295e34dc030319d040f67f4742c6 openSUSE-11.2-DVD-x86_64.iso"

However I still have a problem to check it after burned to dvd media for md5. It fails!

yast "media check" returns "the medium does not contain a md5 checksum ..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast