Thread: Changing desktops

Angry Changing desktops

My new computer is pre-installed with suse 11.2 but with the gnome desktop. I have tried to change it , via yast , to the kde desktop and duly changed the default to kde. This had no effect however so I went back to yast and installed some kde4 packages which it seemed may be necessary. Still no result but now the 'start button' computer icon is missing from the desktop lower left corner and I am unable to launch applications in the normal way.I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I can return the machine to normality, preferably with the kde desktop.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Changing desktops

Quote Originally Posted by hectoraigordon View Post
    My new computer is pre-installed with suse 11.2 but with the gnome desktop. I have tried to change it , via yast , to the kde desktop and duly changed the default to kde. This had no effect however so I went back to yast and installed some kde4 packages which it seemed may be necessary. Still no result but now the 'start button' computer icon is missing from the desktop lower left corner and I am unable to launch applications in the normal way.I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I can return the machine to normality, preferably with the kde desktop.
    I moved this thread to applications in the hope that it will get a better response. It was placed in the wrong forum area previous.

Default Re: Changing desktops

Make sure you have all the right packages.

Open Yast, then filter by patterns. Choose the KDE4 Desktop Environment Pattern and then choose KDE4 Base System pattern.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Smile Re: Changing desktops

Many thanks for the steer, problem solved