Thread: Logitech Orbit AF Webcam - Pan/Tilt

-MJ- NNTP User

Question Logitech Orbit AF Webcam - Pan/Tilt

My first post. Been lurking for a while and was able to figure most things out, but I am at the point with a couple things where I need some help. So anyway...

I was having some issues with my old webcam and decided to just get a new one since my old cam was just that, old. Anyway, I went with a Logitech Orbit AF and it works as far as video goes but I can not figure out how to change the pan/tilt. I did not expect all the options of the cam to work but I figured I would at least be able to move the cam up since it is aiming at its lowest setting, which when using is around my chest. I have been searching around trying to find something that tells me what I need to do. From what I read, I think I need to change the settings of some functions called v4L2UpDownPan() and v4L2UpDownTilt() in luvcview, which I guess are in a file called v4l2uvc.c but I can not find that file. Is this what I need to do? Is that the file I need to change and if so, where is it? I just want to set it and leave it.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Default Re: Logitech Orbit AF Webcam - Pan/Tilt

This is also MY first post.

I just now stumbled upon a solution.

First, I needed to find a program called uvcdynctrl. Checking UVC Webcams - openSUSE does not supply a repo for 11.2 yet, but I added the one for 11.1, namely "http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/garloff:/Webcam/openSUSE_11.1"

I then added uvcdynctrl, which also added libwebcam0_1_1.

After plugging and unplugging the camera, I started two terminal sessions. One running luvcview (whose pan/tilt controls do not appear to work) and the other to enter uvcdynctrl commands.

The uvcdynctrl command syntax is rather ugly, but I found a web page with some descriptions of them at:

Orbit AF and opensuse 10.3 - Installation guide

Scan down to section 5 "uvcdynctrl controls".

The document suggests that it may have to be run as root, but the following ran from a non-root terminal and panned the camera:

uvcdynctrl -s "Pan (relative)" -- 100

Hopefully this will allow you to re-angle your camera.

-MJ- NNTP User

Default Re: Logitech Orbit AF Webcam - Pan/Tilt

Thanks for the reply. I have since installed a different flavor of linux but of course have the same issue. This might still work though. I am always trying something different but usually end up coming back to SUSE. I will try this and see what happens.