I'm not planning to start a flame war here, honest, just looking for straightforward advice. I am using Gmail as my main service but also pull in mail from some other servers via pop3 to my Gmail account, as well as log in to my workplace's Exchange server (spit) via IMAP, and copy mail from there to my Gmail account with a filter. I have been using Thunderbird 2 on my main home machine and Evolution on my main work machine (because of its direct Exchange connectivity) but I'm not terribly happey with either of them (especially not Evolution which is rather clunky and slow with IMAP and I'm running it under KDE4 anyway).
So I thought I'd take the opportunity of the switch to openSUSE 11.2 (64bit) to cast around for a new solution, especially as I'm not keen to use a beta version of TB3. The main candidates at the moment are KMail and the Opera mail client. I know little about the latter although I browse with Opera extensively, and not much more about Kmail. There are also other considerations which I won't go into here (integration with calendars and tasks, syncing with a PDA and so on). Put as straightforwardly as possible, my question is:
What are the experiences around here of using KMail and/or Opera with IMAP, especially with GMail's slightly quirky implementation of it? What would you recommend? I'm leaning heavily towards KMail because of its KContact integration and the possibility of using eGroupware for various purposes but would like advice before I leap. I could, of course, also wait for TB3 and make do with TB2 as under 11.1, for now...