Firefox and heavy hard disk usage

Yesterday, i updated with newer flash player.
After this, everytime i load firefox (and especially when browsing a flash page like youtube) there is a lot of hard disk usage, and sometimes it freezes fro some seconds.

I don’t have the same problem with opera.
Everyone else noticed similar behavior?

How many cache did you reserved for Firefox? (to find in settings)

How many cache did you reserved for flashplayer? (right click on flash-video -> settings)

firefox cache is 50 MB, and i have cleared it. For flash is 100 kb i think (same with opera settings). Also i deleted the .mozilla directory and i still observed the same behaviour.

It has nothing to do with cache, since beside hdd usage i observe heavy cpu usage.

Is your openSUSE older than 11.2?

No. Clean install 11.2.

I also observed heavy cpu load in nspluginwrapper.

I have the packman and mozilla repositoires enabled, i have selected the packages from those ones.

Videos from youtube are not smooth while playing. Dropping frames

i have made also the flashplayer update by YOU (Yast Online Update), but id do not have heavy cpu load. Could you please remove ~/.adobe ~/.macromedia?

No luck removing .adobe and .macrovision.

I also installed back firefox 3.5.4 from suse repositorie.
Nothing.

Which packages do you have from packman, which are in association with flashplayer or nspluginwrapper?

How can i check this?
I found from flash patch, which packages will affect and i had cairo from packman.

Which are other possible other packages and how can i found them?

Can you use cairo and flash from openSUSE 11.2 than from packman?

Did that. By using cairo from 11.2 repo, i think that cpu usage dropped a bit, but still it uses a lot of resources.

I replaced everything from packman to 11.2 repo, but still no luck.

Is it possible that I only have this problem?

I dont know. Maybe my cpu is to powerfull to see any loads. Ive got an AMD64 X 2 4850e+.

Mine is a intel core 2 duo t7500.
Pretty powerful. And also since yesterday i didn’t had that kind pf problem.

+1 I have the same problem, I disabled all flash gnash and similar plugins, in this moment I show videos with opera and browse internet with FF fastly :-))

I did a test now. When i watch a youtube video npviewer.bin uses 32% cpu ressources. Indeed i have 50 to 60% together. But i dont think its bad.

I also have 30% cpu load, but the problem is the hard disk usage, making browsing a horrible experience.
But this onlh happens with flash pages.

So in short, maybe cpu load is fine (!), but the hard disk is spinning wild which in un-expectable.

I removed mozilla repository and installed firefox from suse update repo (3.5.5).
But i still have the same problem.
Can’t anyone help me?

Did I mention that i am running a 64 bit system (although it’s obvious :wink: )

I get heavy CPU usage, and it started happening after a recent update to 11.2. It also sometimes seems to crash and goes off into limbo chewing up CPU time for no apparent reason.

Plus firefox now runs like a dog yet again, ie slow page scrolling.

I’m tempted to re-install and just forget the updates.

Since i can’t find a solution this is what i did.
Download firefox from Mozilla.org - Home of the Mozilla Project.
You should (by default) download the 32bit version (i586) and save it in your home folder.
From your home folder type this.

tar xvjf firefox-3.5.5.tar.bz2

cd firefox/plugins

ln -s /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so .

Now download from Download Free Java Software - Sun Microsystems
download the Linux (self-extracting file) (notice we still need the 32 bit version), and save it in your home folder.

now from your home folder type
sh jre-6u17-linux-i586.bin
(or the current version of java).
You should now have a folder called jre1.6.0_17

Now
cd firefox/plugins
ln -s ~/jre1.6.0_17/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

Java and flash is ready.
I don’t know an easy way to install vlc-pluging (32bit) without messing around with rpms.

I have similar issues with Firefox on 11.1 64-bit. Particularly if I try to view PDFs or other files within Firefox. Even after closing Firefox, the whole system runs horribly slowly.

Think I’ll go back to Opera (which solved other Firefox problems like bad links from my bookmarks).