Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opensuse 11.2 Firefox loads Google when any link is clicked

Default Opensuse 11.2 Firefox loads Google when any link is clicked

I have been scratching my head for a couple of days over this one. My home page is Google. When I choose a link from my bookmarks, it seems to be loading the website, and then reloads my home page. Chromium and Konqueror work fine. I have reinstalled, and created a fresh profile with no change. This is also only on my laptop. Mine and my daughter's Desktops with Opensuse 11.2 KDE work fine. I can't figure out what the @#$% is going on. What am I missing? This happens in spurts, and not all of the time. It will work fine for an hour or two, and then just gos crazy. I am writing this from Chromium now (it rocks!!!). Firefox would just load my homepage when I tried to navigate to the forums.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Default Re: Opensuse 11.2 Firefox loads Google when any link is clic

Just found another symptom. My default browser is Firefox. It is set to open when I open rss feeds in akregator. I just opened It’s Linuxgiving season: My recent experiences with some Linux distros | Moved by Freedom - Powered by Standards

When I clicked on the "Read More" link to load the full article, it reloaded the same page. This is with a new profile with no changes in about:config, and no add ons. This also happens in safe mode.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Hi, this is strange. I just started getting the exact same issue with my firefox on opensuse 11.2. I just started happening a few hours ago. I removed my firefox profile and even deleted and re-installed firefox. This is really bizarre.
    Thanks
    Nick
    opensuse 12.1 x86-64 kde

Question Re: Opensuse 11.2 Firefox loads Google when any link is clic

Hi there,

Same issue here.Started this morning. First it displayed error messages stg like "Segmentation fault. (core dumped)" Then for -almost- any URL (or IP) address it loaded Mozilla corp's page. Now the same but with Google.

Tried reinstall too - no positive result.
    Last edited by dergezdd; 27-Nov-2009 at 02:22. Reason: corrected error msg

Default Re: Opensuse 11.2 Firefox loads Google when any link is clicked

67GTA wrote:

> I have been scratching my head for a couple of days over this one. My
    > home page is 'Google' (http://www.google.com/). When I choose a link
    > from my bookmarks, it seems to be loading the website, and then reloads
    > my home page. Chromium and Konqueror work fine. I have reinstalled, and
    > created a fresh profile with no change. This is also only on my laptop.

I had also this issue. I reinstalled openSUSE and now everything seems to
    work.

--
    Shuttle SG31G2 / Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 / 2GiB
    openSUSE 11.2 / KDE 4.3.3

SteffenPG NNTP User

Hi,

I was searching Google for the same problem and came across this post. It is very bizarre since I don't remember changing anything. Before this happened I had problems closing a firefox window and had to reboot to get rid of it.

So what is going? Re-installing the whole OS isn't really an option and there's no guarantee that the same thing won't happen again in the future.

-Steffen

Same problem here. Removed firefox, re-installed, without the OpenSUSE additional package (just Mozilla), no problems so far.
    Software is like sex: it's better when it's free. --Linus Torvalds

I also fixed the issue by by upgrading firefox to the one in the "openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla" repository.
    opensuse 12.1 x86-64 kde

Smile Re: Opensuse 11.2 Firefox loads Google when any link is clic

Hello again,

Thanks for the tips. I reinstalled Firefox from the Build service repo, with the upstream branding. All symptoms gone, but I'm still curious about what could've caused the problem.

David

SteffenPG NNTP User

Hi,

Using the Build service also made the problem go away for me, but now I have a new one. Gmail responds very slowly for 15-30 seconds (as if some script is running very slowly, and I can't click on a message to read it). After that slow down, everything is fine and it responds quickly.

Regards,
    Steffen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast