Opensuse 11.2 Firefox loads Google when any link is clicked

I have been scratching my head for a couple of days over this one. My home page is Google. When I choose a link from my bookmarks, it seems to be loading the website, and then reloads my home page. Chromium and Konqueror work fine. I have reinstalled, and created a fresh profile with no change. This is also only on my laptop. Mine and my daughter’s Desktops with Opensuse 11.2 KDE work fine. I can’t figure out what the @#$% is going on. What am I missing? This happens in spurts, and not all of the time. It will work fine for an hour or two, and then just gos crazy. I am writing this from Chromium now (it rocks!!!). Firefox would just load my homepage when I tried to navigate to the forums.

Just found another symptom. My default browser is Firefox. It is set to open when I open rss feeds in akregator. I just opened It’s Linuxgiving season: My recent experiences with some Linux distros | Moved by Freedom - Powered by Standards

When I clicked on the “Read More” link to load the full article, it reloaded the same page. This is with a new profile with no changes in about:config, and no add ons. This also happens in safe mode.

Hi, this is strange. I just started getting the exact same issue with my firefox on opensuse 11.2. I just started happening a few hours ago. I removed my firefox profile and even deleted and re-installed firefox. This is really bizarre.
Thanks
Nick

Hi there,

Same issue here.Started this morning. First it displayed error messages stg like “Segmentation fault. (core dumped)” Then for -almost- any URL (or IP) address it loaded Mozilla corp’s page. Now the same but with Google.

Tried reinstall too - no positive result.

67GTA wrote:

> I have been scratching my head for a couple of days over this one. My
> home page is ‘Google’ (http://www.google.com/). When I choose a link
> from my bookmarks, it seems to be loading the website, and then reloads
> my home page. Chromium and Konqueror work fine. I have reinstalled, and
> created a fresh profile with no change. This is also only on my laptop.

I had also this issue. I reinstalled openSUSE and now everything seems to
work.

Shuttle SG31G2 / Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 / 2GiB
openSUSE 11.2 / KDE 4.3.3

Hi,

I was searching Google for the same problem and came across this post. It is very bizarre since I don’t remember changing anything. Before this happened I had problems closing a firefox window and had to reboot to get rid of it.

So what is going? Re-installing the whole OS isn’t really an option and there’s no guarantee that the same thing won’t happen again in the future.

-Steffen

Same problem here. Removed firefox, re-installed, without the OpenSUSE additional package (just Mozilla), no problems so far.

I also fixed the issue by by upgrading firefox to the one in the “openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla” repository.

Hello again,

Thanks for the tips. I reinstalled Firefox from the Build service repo, with the upstream branding. All symptoms gone, but I’m still curious about what could’ve caused the problem.

David

Hi,

Using the Build service also made the problem go away for me, but now I have a new one. Gmail responds very slowly for 15-30 seconds (as if some script is running very slowly, and I can’t click on a message to read it). After that slow down, everything is fine and it responds quickly.

Regards,
Steffen

Gmail seems to be working fine here.

Hi,

Problem fixed so I thought I would share it here in case anyone else comes across my post.

Looks like the NSPlugin Wrapper was confused with the in place upgrade from openSUSE 11.1 to 11.2 because libflashplayer was missing. Since installing the flashplayer firefox and gmail are a lot smoother.

Regards,
Steffen

Can you guys confirm you were all on upgraded 11.1 to 11.2 machines, not “clean” installs?

I am having this exact problem on a fresh clean 11.2 install - no upgrade.

Can’t understand why Firefox suddenly started doing this. Now most of my bookmarks give me the message “forbidden” Only page I can access is my homepage. I’m going to try some suggestions although I doubt libflashplayer is the culprit as suggested since I haven’t upgraded.

as suspected libflashplayer was not related as already installed and working.
Changed firefox to mozilla buildservice version and all is working.

There is a bug report on the issue here