Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desktop won't load

homikthehat NNTP User

Default Desktop won't load

Hi, i installed openSuSE 11.2 with gnome and i am sure it would be lovely except my desktop won't load

It boots fine, i get the log in screen, after that i get a white screen. The mouse cursor shows and i can move it around but that's about it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some config file or old program is trying to load from my old installation. I did a "fresh" install (i reformatted the root partition and installed on that) but i kept my home partition as is and i'm worried something from there might be interfering with the new desktop.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Desktop won't load

Have you tried logging into a different user account to confirm that it's an issue in your configuration, and not a system problem?

Blog Entries

What graphics card do you have. ?

Try a console login, login with your username and password, then become su and do

sax2 -r
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

homikthehat NNTP User

I have a nvidia 9300M

I can successfully log into the root account with x, so there might be something left over from my old installation. I'll try creating another regular account and see what that does.

Don't log into an X-session as root. You can add a user with the useradd command:

Code:
    useradd -G users -m testuser
    passwd testuser
    (enter password twice)

homikthehat NNTP User

So i created a new user and gnome loads fine. I am writing this post from that account

So that leads me to believe something is left over. What would i look for? Or would it be quicker just to make a backup of my files, delete my old user and remake it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by homikthehat View Post
    So i created a new user and gnome loads fine. I am writing this post from that account

So that leads me to believe something is left over. What would i look for? Or would it be quicker just to make a backup of my files, delete my old user and remake it?
    That is probably your best bet. Remember there are hidden files too which may contain email etc...
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Angry Re: Desktop won't load

Quote Originally Posted by homikthehat View Post

I hate to say it, but I have just recently had a lot of experience with exactly the problem you are having.

I have used Ubuntu for several years, but recently decided to move on. I started with Debian testing because Debian package management is better for me. I installed it on a new hard disk and put the old one on the shelf as a source of data files later.

After two days of adding programs, configuring Gnome, getting things set up the way I wanted them, I rebooted. After logging in I got exactly the same thing as you did - a blank screen. I could log in to a command line and become root, but you can't do much about the X window from there.

Note that I had turned off the display of the desktop. I hate icons all over my desktop. Had I not done so I would have been able to right-click on the blank desktop and open a terminal.

Eventually I gave up and started over. Note that the first time was a fresh install on a brand new hard disk. And for the second install I told it to use the entire hard disk and reformat it. Therefore, there were no residual configurations anywhere.

After a day and a half of adding programs and configuring things, the same thing happened. But this time I contacted a local Linux user group. Someone suggested booting to the command line and installing Xfce4. I did so, and after I rebooted I could log in to Xfce. At least I had a usable desktop.

I spent an entire day trying to fix it. One of the things I did was the same as you - I created a new user. When I logged in as the new user in Gnome I had the panels and windows as usual. So I decided to just abandon the old me and become the new user. I spent a day installing and configuring and then - you guessed it - the new user lost the desktop.

I blamed Debian testing. So next I installed Fedora 12. Again, the installer reformatted the hard disk. And after two days of installing and configuring, the Gnome desktop failed to come up again.

At least this time I knew the drill. I booted to a command line and installed Xfce4. Having done so I was able to log in to a usable Xfce desktop. But after a day of struggling I failed to fix the problem.

I should add that I asked on several large e-lists (Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu forums), plus my local LUG. I received several dozen suggestions, but none of them made any difference.

I concluded that the problem was some obscure bug in Gnome 2.8.x. Debian testing installed 2.8.1 and Fedora 12 installed 2.8.0. Something you and I are doing - installed apps, configuration settings, or a combination thereof - is triggering the bug.

And now I hate to say this, but OpenSuse 11.2 uses Gnome 2.8.0.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Jason_Jordan View Post
    Note that I had turned off the display of the desktop. I hate icons all over my desktop. Had I not done so I would have been able to right-click on the blank desktop and open a terminal.
    I forgot to say that, if you can get a terminal open on the desktop, you can restore the desktop with:

metacity | gnome-panel

But I never figured out what happened that caused those two not to be loaded automatically.

Have you reported this to the Gnome bug tracker? It might even be something they are aware of, and have a fix for.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast