DESKTOP HELP ME!

hi. All my brothers. I changed operating systems. I used vista before now I use OPENsusE11.2 gnome. I sat in front of the computer 3 days but I got nowhere. I have some questions about openSUSE. I saw a video on youtube. I want the same thing as his desktop, skins, plus 3D why should I use 3d as he does? Forgive me for I am not an expert spellings.

This is your video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogndb4OvHoE

Well first off, he’s using kde4 not gnome. And from the looks of it he’s using kde4’s own compiz implementation of Kwin. So really it’s just a basic kde4 desktop. His wallpaper is the globe type which lets you zoom in and manipulate a desktop globe as your wallpaper.

What graphics card do you have? You can still do the 3d effects in gnome with compiz.

Take Care,

Ian

Check this link, it will help you with the basics.
HOWTOs - openSUSE

Yeh its Kwin, but this all hangs on what video card you have.

I have gnome dekstop. I can instrallera kwin on it or what? where you can check which graphics card I have?

ATI MOBILTY RADEON HD 3400 series (m82) ?

But in the video i cannot see GNOME Desktop! Its KDE Desktop. Why do you install GNOME Desktop when you want to have KDE Desktop?

ok . I have installed Kd4 now on my computer. formatted on your computer … 3D. how can I get 3d to make it work?

http://www2.ati.com/suse/11.2/
Add this to the repository list, install the fglrx-G02 driver and you have 3D. You may need to reboot;)

the link does not work. The webpage can not be found…but my graphics card is of course correct instrallerad …

It’s not a browsable link. You need to add it to your list of repositories.

Open Yast then choose Software Repositories. Choose Add. Choose Specify Url… then choose next. Copy and paste the link into the url box and for the repository name just type in ATI Drivers. Choose next and it will add it to your list of repositories.

Then, once it goes back to the original Software Repositories screen choose ok. Now open up Yast Software Management and click on the drop-down menu that says view. Choose repositories. Then find the repository you just added (ATI Drivers) Click on it then find the driver fglrx-G02. Check it to be installed then choose accept. Restart your computer and see if you have 3d now.

Take Care,

Ian

Instrallerad? But for 3 D acceleration “Correct Instrallerad” is not good enough.

Here is a link which will teach you what ATI Drivers are, for what they are and how you can install them and make 3 D working.

ATI - openSUSE

Please read carefully before clicking any 1 click installs and you will have fun with a 3 D Desktop.

I forgot the one click :slight_smile: It’s another way of installing the drivers although i haven’t use it.
Anyway, i have ATI Radeon HD 3450 and the driver works nice so there should be no problems with the 3D.

SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT?? there is something called the management softwares

Leverantör: ATI Technologies Inc
Modell: Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series
Drivrutin: Okänd

I could not find the driver in the ati website

you mean well install the manager. I think I have installed the program. what should I do then??
Now
Leverantör: ATI Technologies Inc
Modell: Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series
Drivrutin: fglrx

before it was unknown drivrutin

Try this:

sax2 -r -m0=fglrx

how and where? I press ctrl alt f1 then a box, I write my name o lösenoord to enter the command you gave me. this happens, no nothing. then I can not turn the ****. yes to turn off the computer.

Saw your PM, answer should be here, open to everybody.

Ctrl-Alt-F1, login with username and password. Don’t forget the single quotes.

su -c ‘init 3’ (enter rootpassword)

su -c ‘sax2 -r -m0=fglrx’ (enter rootpassword)

Pick ‘Change Configuration’ from the new screen, check resolution, monitor etc., save and exit. Once done, do:

su -c ‘init 5 && exit’ (enter rootpassword).

That’s it.

if su-cinit is not a typo you can use commond.not.found look upp packa the contains bla bla bla.

su -c"init 3" enter then I enter my lösenoord or I’ve been stuck in the ****.
example
su -c"init 3"enter
password : root-password