GNOME restart and shutdown issues

Is anyone else having issues with the GNOME desktop and attempting to reboot/shutdown, only to be logged out and sent to the login screen? This does not happen to me every time, but once in a while if I wish to either restart/shutdown, and select the options from the GNOME menu, I am sent back to the login screen. Now, what is interesting is, depending on what I was attempting to do in the first place, if I select either shutdown or restart buttons from the login screen, nothing happens. I have to perform another operation and this seems to work. For example, if I originally intended to reboot and then am sent back to the login screen, if I press the reboot button on the login screen nothing happens. I can, however, press the shutdown button and this does work. And this is vice versa as well. I’ve read that this may be an issue with gnome-sessions, but wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and, if so, how it could be resolved.

I don’t have the same , but similar problem. When i boot up my machine; at times it gets stuck in the login screen and does not go ahead. This has happened more often than i can ignore. I don’t have any shut down problems.

On 11/25/2009 09:16 PM, swampdog2002 wrote:
>
> Is anyone else having issues with the GNOME desktop and attempting to
> reboot/shutdown, only to be logged out and sent to the login screen?

yes, i got the same issues, sometimes. Come and sit here :).

my solution was to just press <CTRL>+<ALT>+F1 after login screen appear.

I have exactly the same problem. If I try to reboot or shutdown I’m just logged out. In the login-screen if have to click shutdown or reboot again. If anyone has a hint on that I would be thankful.

Ok , here is what i tried and it stopped troubling me since the last 3 days now - started and shut down many times after that. I simply ‘disabled’ desktop effects ; which is enabled by default for a 11.2 installation.

May not work for everyone , but works for me so far ! I will report back if start ups still freeze in the next 1wk or so. … Until there is a fix !

Report back if this works for you, please.

Nope, doesn’t work for me. 3D effects are already disabled on my OpenSuse (although I like them but I need decent OpenGL performance for development, ATI gfx-card).