YaST problems after upgrade

Hi. I’m sorry if I’m duplicating anything here, I did look around but I’m notoriously bad at finding what I’m looking for. Anyway…

I recently used Wagon to upgrade from 11.1 to 11.2 and am now having some problems with YaST Software Management.

The most obvious problem in use is the appearance of what I think are supposed to be dialogue windows. They appear full-screen, with a gradient-background, no text and no buttons. They take keyboard input which seems to control buttons, but I’m not sure as none are rendered.

I had a couple of those pop up when trying to run the software manager. After that it exited and told me to check the log. Unfortunately, my log file seems not to exist!

It also opened an error dialogue with the following:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'YUINoDialogException'
  what():  No dialog existing
YaST got signal 6 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/sw_single.ycp:563
/sbin/yast2: line 440:  6157 Aborted                 $ybindir/y2base $module "$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

Presumably because of these errors, the update applet also fails to work properly.

I’m sorry that I can’t be more clear about this, but I’m a little lost.

Any help much appreciated!

Boot to level 3 like this:
http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pqyHVkWkJIaGU-9u3DYMGJheRjliVmIHrudY18QACkPIgN7BNOfQL1Mx0w3tOWekhaXHj6NMbZw96jvxrV9Qzaw/level3%20boot.png

At the prompt login as user then switch to su

Now do this:

zypper ref

and

zypper dup

Lets see if that fixes anything. But this assumes you have the correct repos in place!

Thanks, I’m now in the process of trying that. It listed over a gigabyte of updates so it’s gonna take a little while. I also found a repository to remove in the process, so maybe that will help.

Well, this isn’t good…

Part way through the zypper dup process I apparently ran out of space on my root partition. I decided that, with all the changes that had taken place, it might be best to restart before attempting to fix it… in hindsight that was a bad move.

fsck is missing. My system won’t boot for anything but filesystem repair and I’m having trouble getting that to work. Oh. Dear.

If you have the install media for 11.2 (DVD or CD) use it. It looks like you will need to install fresh: Format /
and keep /home

If your root partition is small (low disk space?) you might even want to re-jig the whole setup. In which case a Live cd will let you boot up, mount your /home and back it up, before a complete format.

Yeah. I actually have a spare 80GB SATA disk so I’ll probably just mount that at / sigh What a pain though, I’d just got the system how I wanted it!

I just did all my Box too. Took about 3 hrs all in, I had a large backup to wait for.

I’ve done something very silly. I forgot to install all the 32 bit packages before installing my proprietary ATI driver. Now, naturally, my video output is corrupt.

I know that in the past I’ve got around this, issues a boot option that let me into the console, but either I’m using the wrong one (it’s been a while) or something has changed. So I’d really appreciate someone who knows these things better than I reminding me which option I need to issue.

I’ve been googling madly but I just can’t seem to find it :\

Edit: Oh, yeah, and runlevel 3 doesn’t help, it’s still corrupt at that level.

If you can’t get to level 3 I would seriously consider the dvd repair