Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System freezes after update to 11.2

Default Re: System freezes after update to 11.2

It was 3-4 hours. It finished 4 passes and was 70% through the fifth one when I shut it down.

So far - I installed with default settings - it fails
    I installed with ext3 instead of ext4 - it failed
    I tried Ubuntu 9.04, with ext3, which seemed to work
    & done an upgrade from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 (keeping ext3)- which also failed.

the machine is a 2.53Ghz processor with an 80G HDD and 500MB of RAM, maybe I'm just asking too much of it.

I've been seeing something similar with a clean install of 11.2. What I've done to work around the issue is immediately after booting, I check to see if a particular process is running (I think it's startup_preload, but I'm not at my 11.2 computer to check). If I recall correctly, it's supposed to exit memory after the system boots, but about 75% of the time, it doesn't. Instead, it sits there eating all of my memory. If I kill it, the system remains stable for the rest of the session.

Dunno if it's the same thing you're seeing, but I do know if I don't kill that process, my system becomes completely unusable.

I found a "prepare_preload" on a VM I just installed. It was using 95% of the CPU after bootup, which would kill almost anything. I'll reboot my desktop & try again.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n_hand View Post
    I found a "prepare_preload" on a VM I just installed. It was using 95% of the CPU after bootup, which would kill almost anything. I'll reboot my desktop & try again.

thanks
    That's what it's called. I knew it had the word "preload" in it, but I wasn't sure about the first word.

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?

I re-installed the system

as soon as the system logged me in, I checked the monitor for anything hogging the CPU or memory. Nothing. A minute or so later, the updater found some updates that needed to be applied to the system. Prepare_preload kicked in. It ran for a couple of minutes, as needed by the updater, occasionally spiking to 90%, then shut itself off.

I re-booted the system... it's currently sitting, waiting to "shutdown (localfs) network interfaces: eth0 name: BCM4401 100Base-T". translation - it's hosed (again)

Unhappy Re: System freezes after update to 11.2

Any word on this yet? I've seen in a couple places that there were some bugfixes for an inaccurate "PIDs got reused" error, but to this day, with all 11.2 patches applied, prepare_preload eats my RAM and CPU a few minutes after boot and doesn't quit. I have to kill it manually every time.

On top of that, I've noticed that udev generates an incredible number of forks. Dunno if it's related.

Blog Entries

If you're sure it's this, uninstall 'preload' and 'preload-kmp-YOURKERNELFLAVOR'. This will stop preload from being called.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

That did the trick, but why? I like the concept of what preload does, and wish it worked properly on my computer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12