Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: only using vesa with 640x860 resolution

  1. #1
    patrick_urs NNTP User

    Default only using vesa with 640x860 resolution

    Recently I installed opensuse11.2 with kde4.3 on a Dell Dimension 2400 - the installation was successful and everything worked fine.

    However, at some point I decided to experiment and attempted to enable Desktop Effects in the KDE Desktop Configuration Panel; this immediately made the system unresponsive. I manually shut it down with the power button. When I turned it on again, it got stuck at the green suse splash with the gecko and loading bar (the bar was about halfway). I tried again, this time in failsafe - this worked fine, and I attempted to disable desktop effects. However, the panel wouldn't let me the checkbox was greyed out - in fact, when I returned to the defaults the system kept them enabled told me that the effects don't work on my hardware (I more or less gathered that).

    At this point, I looked around the forums a bit. I found a similar problem, which suggested I boot into runlevel 3, su, and then run
    Code:
    sax2 -r -m 0=vesa
    I did, and accepted the options it presented me (it didn't work when I tried to change them around to the monitor I actually have with the resolution it actually has - something about this graphics card not supporting them).

    However, this didn't actually fix my problem (namely, not loading the desktop). So, I booted again in fail safe mode and simply created a new user.

    Finally, I could log on again without being forced to use fail safe mode. However, now I had a terrible resolution (640 x 860). Running Sax2 as the new user doesn't fix the problem - it won't accept the monitor resolution I actually have. I assume this has something to with having accepted Sax2's earlier proposition, which was in vesa. Now, I tried to run the command again (both in runlevel 3 and in konsole as my new user) like so:
    Code:
    sax2 -r -m 0=intel
    however, this simply makes my screen go blank.

    Suggestions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,859
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: only using vesa with 640x860 resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by patrick urs
    Recently I installed opensuse11.2 with kde4.3 on a Dell Dimension 2400 -
    the installation was successful and everything worked fine.

    However, at some point I decided to experiment and attempted to enable
    Desktop Effects in the KDE Desktop Configuration Panel; this immediately
    made the system unresponsive. I manually shut it down with the power
    button. When I turned it on again, it got stuck at the green suse splash
    with the gecko and loading bar (the bar was about halfway). I tried
    again, this time in failsafe - this worked fine, and I attempted to
    disable desktop effects. However, the panel wouldn't let me the checkbox
    was greyed out - in fact, when I returned to the defaults the system
    kept them enabled told me that the effects don't work on my hardware (I
    more or less gathered that).

    At this point, I looked around the forums a bit. I found a similar
    problem, which suggested I boot into runlevel 3, su, and then run

    Code:
    --------------------
    sax2 -r -m 0=vesa
    --------------------

    I did, and accepted the options it presented me (it didn't work when I
    tried to change them around to the monitor I actually have with the
    resolution it actually has - something about this graphics card not
    supporting them).

    However, this didn't actually fix my problem (namely, not loading the
    desktop). So, I booted again in fail safe mode and simply created a new
    user.

    Finally, I could log on again without being forced to use fail safe
    mode. However, now I had a terrible resolution (640 x 860). Running Sax2
    as the new user doesn't fix the problem - it won't accept the monitor
    resolution I actually have. I assume this has something to with having
    accepted Sax2's earlier proposition, which was in vesa. Now, I tried to
    run the command again (both in runlevel 3 and in konsole as my new user)
    like so:

    Code:
    --------------------
    sax2 -r -m 0=intel
    --------------------

    however, this simply makes my screen go blank.

    Suggestions?
    Hi
    Things have changed in 11.2 with not using xorg.conf anymore have a
    read of post #4 here;
    http://forums.opensuse.org/install-b...my-laptop.html

    It may just be the issue of how to disable the dektop effects (if they
    are still enabled).

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
    up 2 days 9:02, 2 users, load average: 0.22, 0.17, 0.11
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18


  3. #3
    patrick_urs NNTP User

    Default Re: only using vesa with 640x860 resolution

    hmm... thanks malcolm.

    (afaik) I have an intel integrated graphics card on this so I don't see how using the =radeon/radeonhd/ati would help... I'll give a try though.
    Note I did use the =intel without positive results...

    but thank you... at least now I understand more about the situation.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,859
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: only using vesa with 640x860 resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by patrick urs
    hmm... thanks malcolm.

    (afaik) I have an intel integrated graphics card on this so I don't see
    how using the =radeon/radeonhd/ati would help... I'll give a try though.
    Note I did use the =intel without positive results...

    but thank you... at least now I understand more about the situation.
    Hi
    No, ignore the ati stuff, it was the information about xorg.conf not
    being used any more so removing the xorg.conf file and restarting X
    ( eg init 3; init 5 && exit ) should be enough.

    I think the issue is that kwin effects are still enabled and once they
    are disabled all should be ok again.

    I'm not a KDE4 user, so unsure how to do/confirm this from the command
    line....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
    up 2 days 9:56, 2 users, load average: 0.22, 0.11, 0.09
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18


  5. #5
    patrick_urs NNTP User

    Default Re: only using vesa with 640x860 resolution

    Ah! Thank you very much, that solved the problem.

    I logged on as my new user in safe mode, copied it to my desktop and then sudo rm'ed xorg.conf from the terminal. The original user is still unusable, but there were only a couple of files on that anyway... I'll just copy those over.

    Thank you again!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,746

    Default Re: only using vesa with 640x860 resolution

    You might want to check here

    Intel® Embedded Design Center

    to see if your chip will support 3d drivers. I don't believe the "intel" driver that ships with Suse fully supports 3D. Most likely the reason the desktop effects don't work.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,859
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: only using vesa with 640x860 resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp
    You might want to check here

    'Intel® Embedded Design Center'
    (http://edc.intel.com/Software/Downloads/IEGD/#overview)

    to see if your chip will support 3d drivers. I don't believe the
    "intel" driver that ships with Suse fully supports 3D. Most likely the
    reason the desktop effects don't work.
    Hi
    Compiz and kwin run fine on this netbook with a 945GM. Not a speed
    daemon but the defaults seem to function with no noticeable affect on
    system performance.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.2 (i586) Kernel 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop
    up 10:49, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.01, 0.00
    ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •