Seamonkey does not start for a certain user

Dear all,

I have a strange problem with seamonkey 2.0. It was running perfectly after installation on a SuseLinux 10.3 machine. However, due a problem with another application which caused the machine to hang, I had to restart the computer by unpower it (instead of using reboot command - the computer did not react anymore). At a first glance, nothing seriously happened to the system - it is working very well as before. The only problem is that I cannot start seamonkey anymore. The process of seamnkey is in the list of started processes, but nothing more happened: no seamonkey window, no warning, no error message, just nothing.

But the strange thing is, that I can start seamonkey as root, or as a different user.

My first idea was that perhaps some settings have been damaged. I have renamed my .mozilla folder - but seamonkey does not start.

Now I have even renamed my complete user folder - but seamonkey does not start.

The next step was to use the home folder of the other user where seamonkey is working - but again seamonkey does not start.

It is also not a problem of the windows manager, because I have used different ones (and at latest by using the home of the other user it should have been working).

I have removed the /tmp and /usr/tmp folder from temporary files - but it remains the same: seamonkey does not start.

I have removed seamonkey from the machine and installed newly - no success.

I have checked in /var/lock and /var/run whether there are some mozilla related lock files. Nothing.

I’m really at the end with my ideas. What is the reason that only one certain user cannot start seamonkey? Even when a completely new and clean home folder is used or one from another user? In my opinion, this is more than strange. This would mean that the system somewhere has an entry that a certain user is either forbidden to run a certain application or that a certain user is still running this application, preventing to start a new instance. But where such a file should be?

Please could you help me?

Best regards
Pucicu

OK, I have found the problem, although it is still a bit odd to me.

The problem was a “dirty” filesystem. During the reboot the filesystem was checked, but obviously not correctly (it is a journal filesystem). Now I have rebooted the machine again and the filesystem was again checked. This has helped to remove orphan links which most likely have caused the strange behaviour of seamonkey. Seamonkey is now working again. And I can be happy again!