Thread: Xvnc, openSUSE 11.2, and xorg.conf

Default Xvnc, openSUSE 11.2, and xorg.conf

Hello helpful community.

I am sure this problem has been run into already, but I have yet to find a solution:

Objective:

To get Xvnc module working by loading it automatically in the xorg.conf, thus making session :0 open (i.e. not starting a new session like the YaST module does.)

I wrote these directions to do it for openSUSE 11.0 a while back:
    Remote Access missing in openSuSE 11? - openSUSE Forums

Problem:

Those directions don't seem to work anymore since I just upgraded to 11.2 (skipped 11.1). The following shows up in the xorg.conf:

Code:
    (II) LoadModule: "vnc"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//extensions/libvnc.so
    (II) Module vnc: vendor="xf4vnc Project, see http://xf4vnc.sf.net (based on modular X.org)"
            compiled for 1.6.5, module version = 1.1.0
            Module class: X.Org Server Extension
            ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 1.0
    (EE) module ABI major version (1) doesn't match the server's version (2)
    (II) UnloadModule: "vnc"
    (II) Unloading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//extensions/libvnc.so
    (EE) Failed to load module "vnc" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
    I have never dealt with ABI version mismatches in Xorg before. Does anyone have an idea to how to correct this problem and get VNC in this manner to work again?

Thanks,
    g

Default Re: Xvnc, openSUSE 11.2, and xorg.conf

I forgot to mention, I am open to using a new technology, as well.

I would just like to get screen :0 available from the moment the X server starts - this includes the login screen.

Thanks,
    g

Default Re: Xvnc, openSUSE 11.2, and xorg.conf

I looked at the OBS sources for xorg-x11-server to see if I could diagnose the ABI mismatch problem, here:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...=openSUSE:11.2

I found a patch that was added called 'xorg-server-xf4vnc-abi-version.diff'. This patch increased the ABI version to 1.0 from 0.3. I altered it to 2.0 to match the server and I recompiled the X server.

It loaded! sort of.... The Xorg.0.log says it loads fine, then right when it tries to start the VNC server, X crashes with a stack trace stating the problem was /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libvnc.so.

Sigh. Maybe my patch change wasn't so successful. The patch did say it was a hack in the first place....

I am open for more suggestions,
    g