Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: vmware player won't start a vm after reboot

  1. #1
    ekkebaer NNTP User

    Default vmware player won't start a vm after reboot

    Hello folks,

    i'm running OS 11.2 64 bit and installed vmware-player 3.0 (by bundle). It runs fine till i shut down the pc. After the next start the player starts, but refuses to start a virtual machine (it says "Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory..."). I had the same message after first installation but then i installed the missing modules (make etc) and it worked fine. If i de-install the vm-player and reinstall it, everything works fine as long as i do not shutdown the pc?

    Is there any help?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,641
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: vmware player won't start a vm after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by ekkebaer
    Hello folks,

    i'm running OS 11.2 64 bit and installed vmware-player 3.0 (by bundle).
    It runs fine till i shut down the pc. After the next start the player
    starts, but refuses to start a virtual machine (it says "Could not open
    /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory..."). I had the same message after
    first installation but then i installed the missing modules (make etc)
    and it worked fine. If i de-install the vm-player and reinstall it,
    everything works fine as long as i do not shutdown the pc?

    Is there any help?

    Thanks in advance!
    Hi
    Sounds like the vmmon isn't set to start on boot. Is there
    a /etc/init.d/vmware (or vm something)? I use workstation 6.5.2 here,
    but should be similar.

    If there is try (change name as required);
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/vmware start
    If that works, the use YaST runlevel editor to enable the service at
    boot time.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
    up 1 day 19:36, 3 users, load average: 0.11, 0.12, 0.14
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18


  3. #3
    ekkebaer NNTP User

    Default Re: vmware player won't start a vm after reboot

    Hi!

    it works! Thank you very much!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    BUD, Hungary
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: vmware player won't start a vm after reboot

    "en i installed the missing modules (make etc) and it worked fine."

    can you tell me what components did you install exactly?

    I have installed kernel-source, make, but before the first start it still complains for "kernel headers 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop", then it stops.

    so...how can I go on?

    thx

  5. #5
    ekkebaer NNTP User

    Default Re: vmware player won't start a vm after reboot

    Hm...

    if i only would remeber exactly

    it was the gcc and the gcc++ compiler, but there was something more...

    I found that hint in a support-forum by pasting the whole error message into google...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,641
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: vmware player won't start a vm after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by kistej
    -"en i installed the missing modules (make etc) and it worked fine."-

    can you tell me what components did you install exactly?

    I have installed kernel-source, make, but before the first start it
    still complains for "kernel headers 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop", then it
    stops.

    so...how can I go on?

    thx
    Hi
    Normally it's make, gcc, kernel-source, linux-kernel-headers and
    kernel-syms.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
    up 2 days 20:18, 4 users, load average: 0.16, 0.15, 0.14
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    BUD, Hungary
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: vmware player won't start a vm after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Normally it's make, gcc, kernel-source, linux-kernel-headers and
    kernel-syms - never hear before so I have to check if it is installed (and google it what is this exactly )

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
    up 2 days 20:18, 4 users, load average: 0.16, 0.15, 0.14
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18
    make, kernel-source is installed.
    linux-kernel-headers...hmm...I think it is by default,but let's check.
    kernel-syms - never heard before so I have to check it....(and google it what is this exactly)
    gcc - from gcc there are 32 and 64 bit version if I am right. Do we know which is used? i am running 64bit OS but i am not sure VMware player install is satisfied with only the 64bit gcc....

    I will check it later cause at the moment I had to boot XP to be able to work
    I will be back with the result.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    BUD, Hungary
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: vmware player won't start a vm after reboot

    sooo, Gentlemen, the winner is:

    kernel-syms

    this was the only missing module. I have installed it (with its dependencies together) and it is fine now.

    So it is solved, thanks a lot.

    Over.

  9. #9

    Default Re: vmware player won't start a vm after reboot

    Hello,

    I got the error "kernel headers 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop were not found" and I used your suggestion of adding kernel-syms via YAST.

    that worked, however I am now getting an error when VMware Player is trying to build the kernel as I get the error "Unable to build kernel module", per the log file i am missing some applications "Can't get required utilities make, tar, echo, grep, rmmod, insmod"


    any suggestions as I really come up with alot of applications when I search in YAST for the required utilities.

    regards
    qu1nn
    Pentium D 820, 2.80GHz, Intel D945PSN ATX, PowerColor Radeon HD7870, Geil DDR2, (1GB x 2) Dual Channel 667MHz Suse 13.2, KDE
    Haswell i4771, 3.5GHz, Asus Z87-WS ATX, Club3d R9 280X RoyalQueen, Corsair 8GBx2, Corsair AX860 PS, openSuse 13.1, KDE

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,641
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: vmware player won't start a vm after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by qu1nn
    Hello,

    I got the error "kernel headers 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop were not found"
    and I used your suggestion of adding kernel-syms via YAST.

    that worked, however I am now getting an error when VMware Player is
    trying to build the kernel as I get the error "Unable to build kernel
    module", per the log file i am missing some applications "Can't get
    required utilities make, tar, echo, grep, rmmod, insmod"


    any suggestions as I really come up with alot of applications when I
    search in YAST for the required utilities.

    regards
    qu1nn
    Hi
    In YaST->Software->Software Management, select the 'View' tab (defaults
    to search). If you select patterns and scroll down the list there is a
    pattern called 'Base Development', and 'Linux kernel Development'
    select those and install. This should provide all the requirements.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
    up 3:21, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.08, 0.16
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •