Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: openSUSE 11.2 desktop glitch?

  1. #1

    Default openSUSE 11.2 desktop glitch?

    Hi all. I'm using openSUSE 11.2 on my desktop which is a 2.93 GHz P4 with HT and Intel 915G. I'm experiencing graphical glitches on my desktop as shown in the attachments below. (I've tried both the GNOME & KDE desktops).




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    in front of the keyboard
    Posts
    90

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.2 desktop glitch?

    Quote Originally Posted by armageddon09 View Post
    Hi all. I'm using openSUSE 11.2 on my desktop which is a 2.93 GHz P4 with HT and Intel 915G. I'm experiencing graphical glitches on my desktop as shown in the attachments below. (I've tried both the GNOME & KDE desktops).



    Do you have the same glitches in other OS or even in BIOS ?
    Also.... try to use a vesa driver and see if the glitches persist.
    If you do have the same glitches in BIOS the for sure is a hw problem.
    If using a vesa driver makes your glitches dissapear then that is a video driver issue.

  3. #3

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.2 desktop glitch?

    No. I've tried the latest versions of Ubuntu and Mandriva. I don't have the problems with them. How do I use the vesa driver? I don't have the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11.

  4. #4

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.2 desktop glitch?

    Try sax, located in your menu's under system> configuration> configure x11 system.
    Might help.

  5. #5

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.2 desktop glitch?

    Using vesa in the driver section does not load X at all.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,983
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.2 desktop glitch?

    The Intel GPU is never going to give you the beauty you might expect. Intel does provide us with drivers, don't want to discuss the quality, but I never managed to get the desktop as good as with an NVIDIA or (driver supported) ATI.
    You could go on investing a lot of time, but I suggest you go for a cheap NVIDIA card. It will improve your system AND your linux experience.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  7. #7

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.2 desktop glitch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    The Intel GPU is never going to give you the beauty you might expect. Intel does provide us with drivers, don't want to discuss the quality, but I never managed to get the desktop as good as with an NVIDIA or (driver supported) ATI.
    You could go on investing a lot of time, but I suggest you go for a cheap NVIDIA card. It will improve your system AND your linux experience.
    But, it works on other distros. So, I'm guessing there must be some problem with the drivers. And buying an NVIDIA card is really not a feasible solution at the moment.

  8. #8

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.2 desktop glitch?

    No solutions??

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,561

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.2 desktop glitch?

    Quote Originally Posted by armageddon09 View Post
    But, it works on other distros. So, I'm guessing there must be some problem with the drivers. And buying an NVIDIA card is really not a feasible solution at the moment.
    I use the intel 915G myself and have no problems with anything video related in Opensuse 11.2 so I don't think you should write it off as "just does not work with 11.2" as I can testify it does.

    Have you tried disabling desktop effects - a 915G will not have enough grunt to run desktop effects successfully.
    Looking at your screenshot I can see you do have desktop effects enabled so try disabling.

    PS: Don't use Vesa as this will give you an unsatisfactory Opensuse experience

  10. #10

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.2 desktop glitch?

    It also happens with desktop effects turned off. May be I should just switch back to 11.1. Thanks guys for your time and effort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •