Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing and Configuring Compiz

Default Installing and Configuring Compiz

Hello all,

First off, if you're a Gnome user, you can continue to use the one-clicks from the wiki, thus the install should be handled by the one-click here: Compiz Fusion - openSUSE
    If you're a KDE4 user, keep reading.

According to the bugzilla report here:https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=631270#c3, the X11GL repository has been removed along with compiz-emerald and fusion-icon.
    For Gnome users I don't think this is a problem, other than being in the same boat as us KDE users in not having emerald as a window decoration, as compiz just defaults to using metacity.
    For us KDE users, the issue goes a lot deeper. There's not even a kde4 .ymp. I will outline how to get compiz up and running with the KDE window manager in KDE4.

1.) Open Yast Software Repositories. Click Add, then Specify URL.
    Add the repositories for compiz (Add the one for your version of openSUSE) and name it something like Compiz:
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Compiz/openSUSE_11.3/
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Compiz/openSUSE_11.2/
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Compiz/openSUSE_11.1/
    Adding the Repository

Next, we'll install the packages that are included in the Gnome one-click without the Gnome specific stuff (it will still drag in some gnome dependencies):
    2.) Open Yast Software Management and either search for compiz and select these for install, or view by repository and then select these for install.

compiz
    compiz-branding-openSUSE (dragged in by choosing compiz)
    compiz-kde4 (dragged in by choosing compiz)
    compiz-manager
    compiz-plugins-extra (not necessary but was in the one-click for gnome users)
    compiz-plugins-main (dragged in by choosing compiz-plugins-extra)
    libcompizconfig
    compizconfig-settings-manager
    python-ccm (dragged in by compizconfig-settings-manager)
    python-compizconfig (dragged in by python ccm)
    simple-ccsm-kde

Packages for Installation

Once those are installed, we're going to have to use some tricks outlined below in order to get compiz to integrate with KDE4:

First, make sure you have some basic plugins enabled by opening CompizConfig Settings Manager (Not CCSM):
    KDE Compatibility
    Put
    Move
    Resize

Then find Window Decoration and put a check next to it. Then click into it and find the Command entry. In the entry erase what's in there and replace it with:
    kde4-window-decorator --replace

Thanks to Adenozinas from this thread for the fix.
    Compiz - no window decorations for compiz in 11.3, kde4

The rest of the plugins that you enable are up to you. Here's a list of some of the more common ones I use:
    Jpeg
    Png
    Mouse Position Polling
    Regex Matching
    Window previews
    Desktop Cube
    Rotate Cube

3.) Once that's done we can finally set compiz as our main window manager.
    Click on the application launcher and choose Configure Desktop. Then click Default Applications and under window Manager choose Use different window manager and choose Compiz (not compiz custom).

Config the Window Manager

Click apply and let your desktop refresh. Accept the changes and then log out and log back in.

Congratulations! You should now have a working compiz with KDE window decorations in KDE4.

Take Care,

Ian
    Last edited by caf4926; 18-Aug-2010 at 11:58. Reason: User request
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Default Re: Installing and Configuring Compiz

When I changed the window manager to compiz, whole desktop went black and then white, there was nothing on the desktop. I waited but nothing chaned and I press Esc and then I cancel this setting. I dont know what I can do now?

When I first tried results were similar. But worked with emerald as windows decorator. Upgrading kde to 4.5.1 and nvidia drivers and now using compiz from the above repository with either but prefer emerald.
    | openSUSE 12.2 Milestone4 32bit | KDE 4.8.3
    | AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ | MSI K7N2 Delta-L | 3GB Black Diamond DDR
    | GeForce 6200@433Mhz 512MB | NVIDIA-Linux-x86-295.49

Now the X11:compiz repo is gone too? What's going on with support for compiz lately? Seems like they really want users to stick to kwin. But kwin is not nearly as nice as compiz (kwin has no mouse bindings, chunky animations, way less features, not nearly as smooth as compiz).

The fact that these are gone also affects GNOME users. You can still find compiz in the openSUSE OSS repository so you should be able to get at least a working compiz. I did a quick sweep and all of the packages should be in there. Just remember to select all of the packages listed above. Also, another member lOtz1009 has volunteered to keep a somewhat maintained repository as a solution to no emerald packages. It includes emerald and fusion-icon packages. His repository can be found here:
    Index of /repositories/home:/lOtz1009:/emerald

I'll be doing an update to include using the OSS repository and lOtz repository to get a working compiz solution. Lots of school work though so be patient

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Great guide! Everything is working excellent but one question what is the name of the Present Windows plugin for compiz? The thing where you move your mouse to the edge and it shows all windows and you click which one you want. Thanks

I believe that's the Scale plugin. The Expose plugin does one better and shows you all open windows in all desktops, from which you can drag windows to other desktops and rearrange as you see fit.

Take Care,

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    Next, we'll install the packages that are included in the Gnome one-click without the Gnome specific stuff (it will still drag in some gnome dependencies):
    2.) Open Yast Software Management and either search for compiz and select these for install, or view by repository and then select these for install.

compiz
    compiz-branding-openSUSE (dragged in by choosing compiz)
    compiz-kde4 (dragged in by choosing compiz)
    compiz-manager
    compiz-plugins-extra (not necessary but was in the one-click for gnome users)
    compiz-plugins-main (dragged in by choosing compiz-plugins-extra)
    libcompizconfig
    compizconfig-settings-manager
    python-ccm (dragged in by compizconfig-settings-manager)
    python-compizconfig (dragged in by python ccm)
    simple-ccsm-kde

Packages for Installation
    where is the compiz-kde4? only i see compiz-gnome
    https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_F...ut=list&num=50

New version, nice. Version 9. Zoom/enhanced works again, looks good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast