Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no sound after upgrading to 11.2

Default no sound after upgrading to 11.2

Hello,

after upgrading from 11.1 to 11.2 I can get no sound when playing audio files.

I am using Gnome desktop.

I have posted my ALSA information here:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=30...8f8fde8ca03d95

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greetings,
    Tomek.

Default Re: no sound after upgrading to 11.2

Define audio files? MP3? WMA? Something else?

Have you installed the restricted formats package?
    Restricted Formats/11.2 - openSUSE-Community

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tosk View Post
    after upgrading from 11.1 to 11.2 I can get no sound when playing audio files.

I am using Gnome desktop.

I have posted my ALSA information here:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=30...8f8fde8ca03d95
    Please also advise which sound device you are trying to use? Mother board? or your second sound device (a PCI card).

When testing for basic sound functionality, I recommend you try EACH one of the 3 sound tests here: SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE [ie the 2 speaker-tests and the alsa web site test]

If ANY of those 3 work, then the sound problem is most likely a mixer or codec problem.

Also, if you had any custom settings in your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file, please note that file is depreciated and does do anything. The config file is now /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

voidwhereprohibitedbylaw NNTP User

Post Re: no sound after upgrading to 11.2

I too had no sound after installing 11.2 over my old 11.0. The 'SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE' site (SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE) was very helpful to me. I have 2 soundcards, one a crappy on-board, and another an Audigy2 from Creative Labs. In Yast, the tests of the soundcard for the on-board were successful, but the sound would not output with my non-root user logged in until I added the user to the 'audio' group. The Audigy would not work until I went into the command-line 'alsamixer' (note: the GUI mixers always seem to not display a complete list of volume Items available to a card, use the command-line mixers when available) and unmuted the 'Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by voidwhereprohibitedbylaw View Post
    I too had no sound after installing 11.2 over my old 11.0. The 'SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE' site (SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE) was very helpful to me. I have 2 soundcards, one a crappy on-board, and another an Audigy2 from Creative Labs. In Yast, the tests of the soundcard for the on-board were successful, but the sound would not output with my non-root user logged in until I added the user to the 'audio' group. The Audigy would not work until I went into the command-line 'alsamixer' (note: the GUI mixers always seem to not display a complete list of volume Items available to a card, use the command-line mixers when available) and unmuted the 'Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack'.
    Thanks for sharing your solution. The need to unmute the 'Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack' seems to bite a lot of new users. Good on you for picking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    Define audio files? MP3? WMA? Something else?
    I have tried playing back WAV, MP3 and an ordinary audio CD, and I get no sound with any of these formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    Have you installed the restricted formats package?
    Restricted Formats/11.2 - openSUSE-Community
    No, I haven't.

Greetings,
    Tomek.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Please also advise which sound device you are trying to use? Mother board? or your second sound device (a PCI card).
    I would like to use the second (PCI) card. I don't need the one on the motherboard.
    The PCI card is the only one that is configured in the Yast/Sound panel. It is also set as primary sound card.

When testing for basic sound functionality, I recommend you try EACH one of the 3 sound tests here: SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE [ie the 2 speaker-tests and the alsa web site test]

If ANY of those 3 work, then the sound problem is most likely a mixer or codec problem.
    The first test (speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav) works, but the second one (speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav) does not.

However, I *can* play the test sound in Yast/Sound panel for the PCI card.

Also, if you had any custom settings in your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file, please note that file is depreciated and does do anything. The config file is now /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf
    No, I haven't got any custom settings in this file.

Perhaps banshee is not using the PCI card, but I don't know how to verify/change it?

Greetings,
    Tomek.

Quote Originally Posted by voidwhereprohibitedbylaw View Post
    I have added my non-root user to the audio group, but it didn't help.

I have also tried setting the volume in the alsamixer. There is no 'Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack' in there for my PCI sound card,
    but I have raised the volumes for all output channels. Unfortunately it didn't help.

Greetings,
    Tomek.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tosk View Post
    Perhaps banshee is not using the PCI card, but I don't know how to verify/change it?
    Sorry, I NEVER use banshee. I only use smplayer and vlc.

Blog Entries

Adding yourself to the audio group is useless.

If you don't have an Audigy you won't have the option.

If the card produces a test sound in Yast, it is working. Since you opened up all in the mixer, my guess is you're trying to play restricted media. Follow the link in the post above and you'll end up fine.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast