Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin Super User broken

Default Dolphin Super User broken

Dolphin as a super user doesn't appear to work.
    Click on the icon as a user to launch Dolphin as a super user > pop in my password ? Dolphin launches but no icons presetn > wait about one min and the icons appear > click an icon and wait another 90 seconds to be taken into the file I want to enter.

Dolphin as superuser was broken in KDE 4.2 but was supposed to have been fixed in 4.3.
    Did the fix not make it?

Default Re: Dolphin Super User broken

if I invoke Dolphin from a root terminal Dolphin as superuser works fine.

Problem appears to be only when launching from Dolphin Superuser shortcut in kicker.

Did you upgrade? possible you need to undo any settings in ~/.kde4. try renaming .kde4 in you home then restart this should star off with clean settings.

no upgrade - clean fresh install

Well regarding that try to delete the corresponding config ans share directories in /root/

This is where the settings are.

So delete

/root/.kde4/share/apps/dolphin <<---- FOLDER
    /root/.kde4/share/config/dolphinrc <<---- FILE

Besides it works just fine in my case.

Do you have any additional repositories?
    If yes then could you post output of

zypper lr -d
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBendingRodriguez View Post
    Well regarding that try to delete the corresponding config ans share directories in /root/

This is where the settings are.

So delete

/root/.kde4/share/apps/dolphin <<---- FOLDER
    /root/.kde4/share/config/dolphinrc <<---- FILE

Besides it works just fine in my case.

Do you have any additional repositories?
    If yes then could you post output of

zypper lr -d
    Thanks - but removing that directory & file didn't seem to make any difference.
    Deleted in a terminal then started up Dolphin as super user and still a while to load and any change between directories taking an awfully long time.

Here is the output of
    zypper lr -d

Code:
    # | Alias                               | Name                            | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                           | Service
    --+-------------------------------------+---------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | KDE:KDE4:Community                  | KDE:KDE4:Community              | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.2/ |
    2 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla       | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.2/              |
    3 | ftp.skynet.be-suse                  | Packman Repository              | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/11.2/                                   |
    4 | http-download.opensuse.org-b7e07fb1 | Updates for openSUSE 11.2-0     | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.2/                                     |
    5 | openSUSE 11.2-0                     | openSUSE 11.2-0                 | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | dvd:///                                                                       |
    6 | repo-non-oss                        | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss           | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss/                  |
    7 | repo-oss                            | openSUSE-11.2-Oss               | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.2/repo/oss/                      |

Default Re: Dolphin Super User broken - 11.2 64-bit

I was finally able to change a file by using the following command as su in the terminal:

dbus-launch dolphin

Don't ask me what this does and why it works, I am not knowledgeable enough. Opening konqueror in the terminal window did not work either.

I get some strange messages in the terminal window though:

jim@linux-abtl:~> su
    Passwort:
    linux-abtl:/home/XXXX # dbus-launch dolphin
    kdeinit4: Shutting down running client.
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_kded4.so
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so
    linux-abtl:/home/office20 # kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/kde4/kio_trash.so
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/kde4/kio_file.so
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
    <unknown program name>(5189)/ KStartupInfo::createNewStartupId: creating: "linux-abtl;1258451677;286254;5189_TIME0" : "unnamed app"
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    kDebugStream called after destruction (from void KDirWatchPrivate::removeEntry(KDirWatch*, KDirWatchPrivate::Entry*, KDirWatchPrivate::Entry*) file /usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-4.3.1/kio/kio/kdirwatch.cpp line 901)
    Cancelled INotify (fd 10, 1) for "/root/.local/share"

Hmm, have you ever tried running dolphin by typing in krunner

kdesu dolphin??

I remember dolphin never worked if invoked simply from a terminal with su privileges.
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Here's mine, looking at it from KDE Menu Editor.

General
    Name: File Manager - Super User Mode
    Description:
    Comment:
    Command: dbus-launch dolphin %i -caption "%c" "%u"
    Enable Launch Feedback is checked

Under advanced, it has a check by Run As A Different User, but nothing in the box.

I tried but get the following messages only:
    (please be aware, I am a user only and quite new to linux)

# krunner
    <unknown program name>(11114)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server: "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

kdesu dolphin
    <unknown program name>(11117)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server: "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

<unknown program name>(11116)/: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast