Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Konqueror shows strange block devices in sysinfo

Default Konqueror shows strange block devices in sysinfo

Hi all,

I've upgraded to 11.2.

Now Konqueror show strange block devices in "sysinfo:/". When you open this, normally, Konqueror will show some shortcuts to some directories (folders) on the left hand side, to wit "my documents", "my home folder","root folder","network folders" and it will show (shortcuts to) all mount points on the RIGHT hand side, notably "/"and "/home".

Since updating to 11.2, the mount points on the RIGHT hand side are only identified as being "file:///dev/sdxy" - for example, the "/home" dir is identifed as "file:///dev/sda8 block device".
    (that is actually correct as far as it goes, /home is on sda8, it is the only content of that partition). All of the shortcuts on the right point to block devices.

The shortcuts on the LEFT hand side correctly identify the /home dir as "file:///home/my_name" folder.

Normally, clicking any of the partitins/drives on the RIGHT will open the content of that. For example, clicking on the "/" partition, should show you the content of the root directory, clicking on /home that of the "home" dir etc...

Unfortunately, Konqueror can't open any block device starting with "file:///" such as "file:///dev/sda1". So if I click on a shortcut on the right hand side, it only proposes the small window "open with" allowing you to choose an application to use for opening this type of file.

This is annoying, as I use these shortcuts on the right hand side to go quickly to a certain mount point (eg, notably, windows partitions without having to go into the root "dir",scrolling down to "windows, etc).

So why does sysinfo identify them as block devices?

Does anybody have this same problem?

I DID check the md5 sum of the iso file I installed from (hard disk install), and it was OK, so it can't be a dud disk.

Oh, and if this happens to you and you want to have fun (not really) do what I tried :

In that window where you can choose what application to use type or choose Konqueror. Tick the box that says "Remember application association for this type of file".

Now try to open , say "/home". That opens konqueror which opens another konqueror which opens another konqueror etc....
    It never stops until you manage to crtl+alt+backspace out of it...

Tnaks in advance

Lenwolf

Default Re: Konqueror shows strange block devices in sysinfo

Anyone?

TIA
    Lenwolf

Blog Entries

Please post

Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thanks for taking an interest in this.

zypper lr -d :

------------+--------
    1 | http-download.opensuse.org-b16faea6 | Updates for openSUSE 11.2-0 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.2 |
    2 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:/// |
    3 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.2-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    4 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss |
    5 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    6 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.2-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |

Lenwolf

Blog Entries

That looks OK. I was thinking you might have something quite bizarre.

Can you post a screenshot of this
    Post it to a site like imagebam
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Hi,

Here's an image :

http://imagebarn.us/images/Lenwolf/snapshot1.png

the cursor hovered over the /windows/C drive on the right side (next to the small popup windows). You can see in the image, at the lower left hand side, the fact that this is considered to be a block device.

Just to be on the safe side, I downloaded the iso file again, rechecked its md5 sum (passed OK), burned the DVD and had it check itself again. OK. I used this to reinstall, but the problem is still there.

I installed this on a second computer (the laptop from which the image comes) - same problem.
    Strange, innit?
    Thanks,

Lenwolf

Blog Entries

I see nothing odd about this. If you navigate to /dev
    You will find the system devices in here, device nodes often represent addressable devices such as hard discs
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Thanks for your answer.

The system DOES look OK, except that I can't click on the shortcuts on the right as you can see them, e.g. /windows/C.

If YOU click on one of these shortcuts on your computer, Konqueror will naviagte there, I just get the window telling me that it can't open it.

In older versions of Suse/sysinfo, the devices weren't identified as "/dev... whatever block devices" but as "...whatever folders".

So why doesn't this work anymore, or am I wrong and NOBODY can use the shortcuts on the right anymore?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Please post result of

Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Hi,

cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0_WD-WXE908JL2181-part6 / ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0_WD-WXE908JL2181-part7 /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0_WD-WXE908JL2181-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g defaults,users,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0_WD-WXE908JL2181-part2 /windows/D ntfs-3g defaults,users,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0_WD-WXE908JL2181-part5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0

Some info on how I installed this:
    When,during install, it comes to the stage of setting up the partitions, I told it to import the previous partition setup, which it did.
    I then told it simply to reformat ...part6 as / with ext4, which it did, keeping the ...part7 for my /home dir, incidentally keeping my user files an info.

At one stage I thought that having kept my old user setup from 11.1 on /home was what might cause the problem (though that wouldn't explain why it also happens for root) and thus Iset up a totally new user "test" : the problem is there, too.

Thanks again for helping me!

Lenwolf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast