Can't access cd drive

Hi,

Dolphin doesn’t display my CD drive. I insert a disk and nothing happens, ‘Recently plugged devices’ shows nothing, and under media there is no entry for the CD drive. What to do?

System: 11.2/KDE/64bit

TIA

Open a console, and type

lshal -m

Then insert a data CD or DVD. Watch the output. For reference I get

Start monitoring devicelist:

21:59:12.018: storage_model_MATSHITADVD_RAM_UJ_830Sx property storage.removable.media_available = true
21:59:12.033: storage_model_MATSHITADVD_RAM_UJ_830Sx property storage.removable.media_size = 91361280 (0x5721000) (new)
21:59:12.042: storage_model_MATSHITADVD_RAM_UJ_830Sx property storage.cdrom.write_speeds = {‘4234’, ‘2822’, ‘2117’, ‘1411’, ‘706’}
21:59:12.654: volume_label_VMC_v4_02_06_0a added

Does your Doplhin display the ‘Places’ panel? (ie View > Panel > Places enabled)

Open k3b
Can you manage cd/dvd burning in there?

You should be following this for multi-media
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

When inserting a CD lshal -m returns:

11:26:08.010: storage_model_CDDVDW_SH_S222A property storage.removable.media_available = true
11:26:08.051: storage_model_CDDVDW_SH_S222A property storage.cdrom.write_speeds = {'1764'}

The CD drive is not listed in dolphin under ‘Places’.

K3B identifies the CD.

What type of CD did you try? Data, audio…?

If audio cd try this in Dolphin

audiocd:/

It’s a data CD (actually the CD I used to burn & install 11.2 ISO image).

If you have konqueror installed, with a data cd/dvd in the tray, try typing this url:

sysinfo:/

Do you see the disk icon present in the ‘Disk Information’ section?
If not, try launching konqueror as superuser with

kdesu konqueror

and do the same. I’m just trying to find out whether this is specific to Dolphin, or a possible PolicyKit issue…

I tried an audio CD and dolphin added it to Places. Then another data disk, which was also identified by dolphin. I tested 8 data disks, 4 of which where seen by dolphin, the other 4 were ignored. I formatted one of the unidentified disks, and then it appeared on Recently plugged but not in dolphin. Then I burned to it the same ISO file - openSUSE 11.2/64 - and it was corectly displayed in dolphin’s Places. This is very strange.

It is strange because everything I throw at 11.2 just works. It’s awesome!

Got exactly the same problem. Have not tried it with audio cd yet(but i really need this data cd to work). When I insert a data cd, it appears in “Devices recently plugged in”, but not in konqueror or dolphin. “Devices recently plugged in” gives me the option to copy the disk with k3b…any ideas?

You need to enable Places in Dolphin
View - Panels - Places

They are enabled…but can’t see it nonetheless…

Put the audo cd in and in Dolphin type
audiocd:/

The only thing that’ll play it well is KsCD or maybe Mplayer
K3b will rip the heck out of it too

audio cd’s are not really my problem. I just want to access my data…

I’d be interested in knowing more about your cd/dvd drive

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --cdrom

’ ll post that in the evening (approx. 8 hours from now). However, I want to mention that OpenSuse 11.0 under the Gnome desktop (which I was using till 13.11.2009) never had any problems of that kind on the same hardware and with the same medium. So I would guess, that it is some kind of default KDE setting which I am unable to change (I am not new to linux or Opensuse, but I am new to the KDE).

Ok, here is the output of hwinfo --cdrom, with the data cd-inserted

~> /usr/sbin/hwinfo --cdrom
17: SCSI 101.0: 10602 CD-ROM (DVD)
  [Created at block.247]
  UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DVD_RW_AD_7173A
  Unique ID: KD9E.+Yz_Hs07t74
  Parent ID: w7Y8.AxSVys2yNA7
  SysFS ID: /class/block/sr0
  SysFS BusID: 1:0:1:0
  SysFS Device Link: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host1/target1:0:1/1:0:1:0
  Hardware Class: cdrom
  Model: "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173A"
  Vendor: "Optiarc"
  Device: "DVD RW AD-7173A"
  Revision: "1-01"
  Driver: "ata_piix", "sr"
  Device File: /dev/sr0 (/dev/sg2)
  Device Files: /dev/sr0, /dev/block/11:0, /dev/scd0, /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-1:0:1:0, /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrw, /dev/dvd, /dev/dvdrw
  Device Number: block 11:0 (char 21:2)
  Features: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+DL, DVDRAM
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
  Attached to: #11 (IDE interface)
  Drive Speed: 48
  Volume ID: "D5"
  Application: "MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD CD-R/DVD CREATOR (C) 1993 E.YOUNGDALE (C) 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING"
  Creation date: "2006090416490100"

I tried copying the cd as an image to disk using k3b (since it is the only program seeing the disk). It worked, but I could not mount the image with:

sudo mount -o loop /home/myname/archives/disk.iso /mnt

In the meantime I tried some other data cds which worked (strange).

You could always try a UI application for mounting like AcetoneISO