Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenSuse 11.2 Black Screen

Blog Entries

Default Re: OpenSuse 11.2 Black Screen

The problem is the radeonhd driver. To workaround the problem, log in using the Failsafe option. This will give you a VESA X Server. Then use sax2 to create a xorg.conf file. In the generated xorg.conf, replace the Driver "radeon" with "ati".
    Most of the posters have said even failsafe is not working for them.

Done this...
    But have only Black Screen (no console)
    And computer not respond on pressing any keys(((
    Russian
    Sorry for My Eng...

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Most of the posters have said even failsafe is not working for them.
    I had a completely dead machine. Black Screen, no apparent responses to the keyboard, no disk activity. Just completely hung up.
    I managed to get into the system with the Failsafe option and a VESA X server. From there I searched for a solution and the "ati" instead of the "radeon" driver worked for me. I can now watch DVD in full screen resolution. Desktop effects however leave artifacts, so I have disabled them.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Even with the black screen, can you press Alt-Ctrl-F1 to bring up a text console?

Alternatively, at the grub (boot) menu, add '3' to the boot option, then hit [Enter]. This should get you to a text console.

From there, log in as root, and try

sax2 -r -m 0=vesa

to create a basic xorg.conf file with the vesa graphics driver.

Type

init 5

when done. See how that goes.

no Alt-Ctrl-F1 doesn't work, everything is dead

I've done as you said, but changed
    sax2 -r -m 0=ati
    writing this post from openSUSE 11.2
    thanks...

Blog Entries

Good result. It appears that as jpo234 already suggested, Xorg is trying to (incorrectly) use the radeonhd driver, instead of the ati driver.

I guess this is going to affect quite a few of us post-install, with older AMD/ATI graphics hardware.

ebaraya NNTP User

well
    doing Ctrl+C while booting and then login in as root and doing
    sax2 -r -m 0=ati
    managed to make it work, but I lost the auto configuration and the network management and applet is not there, manually I managed to setup my WLAN but still not applet working and mostly I think all the autoconfiguration that should run after fisrt reboot is did not work
    Is there a way to run auto configuration again

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ebaraya View Post
    Is there a way to run auto configuration again
    Please read the openSUSE-11.2 release notes.

Simply make a backup copy of /etc/X11/xorg.conf , then delete the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf (as you have a backup) and when you reboot the auto configuration will try again. BUT you may be back to original problem.

ebaraya NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Please read the openSUSE-11.2 release notes.

Simply make a backup copy of /etc/X11/xorg.conf , then delete the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf (as you have a backup) and when you reboot the auto configuration will try again. BUT you may be back to original problem.
    I don't know what happened but it identified that the installation failed and it ran the auto configuration again
    but still that was unexpeced from openSUSE
    thank you all

I am going to add another instance of this problem. I have an HP tx2622nr laptop which has an ATI HD3200 integrated video card. I have tried to install 11.2 from all installation medias and architectures.

Watching the machine boot up using failsafe mode the last thing seen from the screen is "Starting HAL" or something similar. The screen then flashes like it is going to bring up X and then goes black. The interesting thing is, it was working perfectly with RC2.

The xorg.conf file is actually never created. If I boot up on a live CD even under VESA it fails to boot. Anybody have any other things I can try or advice.

Blog Entries

Yes, try this from the grub boot menu: Type '3' to add to the boot options for openSUSE entry, then hit [Enter] key. This should get you to a text console. From there, log in as root, and do

sax2 -r -m 0=radeonhd (zero=)

sax2 -r -m 0=vesa (if the radeonhd option doesn't work for you)

When finished, type

init 5

See how that goes.

Edit: In general, xorg.conf should not be necessary, but some hardware is not detected/handled properly by the Xorg sever, so running sax2 from runlevel 3 will be necessary.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast