Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: OpenSuse 11.2 Black Screen

Default Re: OpenSuse 11.2 Black Screen

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes it is 13.1 , sorry for my typo.
    After starting my laptop im getting this screen
    [5.128055] [drm.intel_enable_lvds] *ERROR* time out waiting for panel to power on
    welcome to resuce mode! Type "systemctl default" or ^D to enter default mode.
    Type "journalctl -xb" to view system logs. Type "systemctl reboot" to reboot.
    Give root passwrod for maintenance
    (or type Control-D to continue):
    when i give password it goes to root terminal, hear i type startx command which runs perfectly and gets me into root account where i can use my system. But i want to use my user account to login so exited from root account(shutdown the system and restarted to get above error) . when i press ctrl+f7 it gives me blank screen, nothing works in this screen except a cursor blinks. So i get back to above error by pressing ctrl+f1 and re login by giving password. so what i did next was gave following command su "user account name"
    and used startx command and i got following error

xauth: file /home/icl/.serverauth.666 does not exist
    xauth: (stdin):2: unknown command "d102fe6a40ea26e75f96586916c9c585"

(EE)
    Fatal server error:
    (EE) Cannot move old log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"
    (EE)
    (EE)
    Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
    for help.
    (EE)
    xinit.: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
    xinit: server error
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    xinit failed. /user/bin/Xorg is not setuid, mybe that's the reason?
    If so either use a display manager (strongly recommended) or adjust /etc/permissions.local
    1) In Home partition i got more 40gb space
    2) Apart form root im not able to log in into any other account. Firstly i am not able to see login screen at all, after starting system, it directly leads a terminal with above stated in first quote
    3) I did Ctrl+Alt+Backspace twice in blank screen( sreen which appeared when i press Ctrl+Alt+F7) nothing happened.
    4) No one else touched by system except me, and i havn't changed my screen resolution.
    5) No iam not getting and terminal screen when i press Alt+f2

Quote Originally Posted by paniraju View Post
    After starting my laptop im getting this screen
    Hm? Never saw that error message... ([drm.intel_enable_lvds] *ERROR* time out waiting for panel to power on)
    Have you tried to run what the message below that tells you (journalctl -xb), to find out what's the reason for dropping to emergency mode?
    Are there any messages _above_ that?
    Have you tried "Recovery Mode" yet? ("Advanced Options" in the boot menu)
    Or an older kernel? Since you say it did work until recently.

when i give password it goes to root terminal,
    No it doesn't.
    It goes to "emergency mode".

hear i type startx command which runs perfectly and gets me into root account where i can use my system.
    No, it doesn't run perfectly.
    Most system services are not started at that point.

But i want to use my user account to login so exited from root account(shutdown the system and restarted to get above error) . when i press ctrl+f7 it gives me blank screen, nothing works in this screen except a cursor blinks.
    Right, because X didn't even start.
    You are in emergency mode, i.e. runlevel1.

So i get back to above error by pressing ctrl+f1 and re login by giving password. so what i did next was gave following command su "user account name"
    and used startx command and i got following error
    As I already indicated, running "startx" doesn't work as a normal user, and you shouldn't use it anyway.
    Search the forums if you want to find out how to use it, I don't want to write it over and over again, and I already did once more a few days ago.
    And it won't really help you anyway.

But: you should rather start X by switching to runlevel 5, i.e. leaving recovery mode.
    Code:
    init 5
    or
    Code:
    systemctl isolate graphics.target
    You probably have to fix the actual reason why the system drops to emergency mode first, to make that work.
    But then the system should boot to graphics mode anyway.

1) In Home partition i got more 40gb space
    Ok. But at that point /home is not used at all anyway.
    Although if it fails to be mounted, the system will drop to emergency mode, too.
    Do you have free space on your / partition? And what about /boot if you have a separate one?
    If that intel error about the panel is the reason for your problem, it might be caused by stuff missing from your initrd, probably because /boot ran full when installing a kernel update.

2) Apart form root im not able to log in into any other account. Firstly i am not able to see login screen at all, after starting system, it directly leads a terminal with above stated in first quote
    Again, you are _not_ logging in at all.
    You have to type in the root password to enter emergency mode. Something important fails during boot so the system switches to emergency mode.

3) I did Ctrl+Alt+Backspace twice in blank screen( sreen which appeared when i press Ctrl+Alt+F7) nothing happened.
    4) No one else touched by system except me, and i havn't changed my screen resolution.
    5) No iam not getting and terminal screen when i press Alt+f2
    Of course. This is all moot if you are in emergency mode.
    No X is started, so all of the above doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 06-Sep-2014 at 04:23.

On 2014-09-06 13:06, paniraju wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    > Yes it is 13.1 , sorry for my typo.
    > After starting my laptop im getting this screen
    >>
    >> [5.128055] [drm.intel_enable_lvds] *ERROR* time out waiting for panel to power on
    >> welcome to resuce mode! Type "systemctl default" or ^D to enter default mode.
    >> Type "journalctl -xb" to view system logs. Type "systemctl reboot" to reboot.
    >> Give root passwrod for maintenance
    >> (or type Control-D to continue):

That's rescue mode. You have to solve the problem, not use startx.

Please start a new thread about the above - don't tag on the end of an
    old one.

I'll ignore the rest, pointless (wrong track, and wrong thread).

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314