Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Java

Default Installing Java

I have tried various methods to try and install Java

1. Though Firefox plugin manager - Failed
    2.Though Firefox MANAUL install. Downloaded the .rpm file and used softwareinstaller to run the file. looked like it was working and asked for a PW but didn't work.
    3.Though the Software Installation Manager on the desktop. Installed Jave 1-5, 1-6 (and the 2 plug ins)

Can't figure this one out.

Any help appreciated.

Default Re: Installing Java

I'm having java problems as well!

Apparently it is installed (i have it on my "recently installed" applications list!) but everytime i go a website that has java it just don't start (using firefox!)

help, anyone???

Thanks

Install the sun java 6 plugin in the repos, it works for me.
    Not using 64bit though right?

Ok...since i'm whit Linux for... aaaaahhh well since yesterday... can you please be a lot more specific about how do i do that???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpeccyMan View Post
    Ok...since i'm whit Linux for... aaaaahhh well since yesterday... can you please be a lot more specific about how do i do that???

Thanks
    Sure, install java via YAST, if you dont know what that is its the system control center for openSUSE.
    it should be under system> configuration > install software.
    The installer should pop up and look for java, install java-1_6_0-sun and java-1_6_0-sun-plugin by clicking on the boxes and selecting install.
    Using the software installer should be easy to figure out.
    Keep in mind, DONT, and I repeat DONT install java-1_6_0-openjdk or its plugins, if they are installed by mistake remove them.
    Software removal is also easy.

Here is some aid, just keep in mind YAST has changed a little but not by much:
    http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Modules/Software_Management

Or just do it "the windows way"
    go here:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.1/

and just click on the folder matching your kernel version (64bit or 32)
    11.1 packages will work in 11.2

Talking Re: Installing Java

Thank you so Much Taralkeda

i just completed what you said... but before i read your post... (i followed the steps from Installing Sun's Java on openSUSE - openSUSE )

Anyway thank you soooooooooo much for your help

it is finally working

by the way... i have opensuse 11.2... can i go to the software portal and install software from 11.1???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpeccyMan View Post
    Thank you so Much Taralkeda

i just completed what you said... but before i read your post... (i followed the steps from Installing Sun's Java on openSUSE - openSUSE )

Anyway thank you soooooooooo much for your help

it is finally working

by the way... i have opensuse 11.2... can i go to the software portal and install software from 11.1???

Thanks
    Theoretically you can, just keep in mind the one click installers wont work
    And dependencies might be a little rough too, right now the software for 11.2 is small so i dont blame you, but dont install anything major like a kernel or a ati driver or something.
    Just install software, but the dependencies might drive you a little crazy.

oh... i'm getting crazy, you can be sure of that!!!

(Pidgin keyring - openSUSE Forums)

i'm finding a lot of challenges - as you can see - but i won't quit. I've bought a PC to put suse on it and it will have suse on it! Not windows, not anything else!!! Windows is Long Gone!!! (but i might get, in fact, a bit crazy hehe...)

Thanks for your help, once again

sorry i haven't replied sooner - Knocked my PC and the fan started making a funny noise. After sticking my finger in it to see what was up a few of the fan blades snapped.

Taken me a few days to get a nice small fan. Nicked one from an old 486 setup in the end.

Anyway!!

I have already installed the java-1_6_0-sun and java-1_6_0-sun-plugin.

I also installed java-1_5_0-sun and java-1_5_0-sun-plugin.

Should this be removed?

No not 64bit by the way.

Also my system started doing updates.

I get updates are being installed.. then the msgbox disappears and I get another (sometimes 4 at a time)

I thought this must be normal but it has been installing for almost 2 hours. I am on a 20mb broadband and stuff normally downloads really quick. Can you confirm if this is normal? I only installed a week ago.

Blog Entries

I get updates are being installed.. then the msgbox disappears and I get another (sometimes 4 at a time)

I thought this must be normal but it has been installing for almost 2 hours. I am on a 20mb broadband and stuff normally downloads really quick. Can you confirm if this is normal? I only installed a week ago.
    Not normal.
    There have been very few updates, although a new install will start dragging in dependency stuff when you start adding other applications as you have.

Code:
    zypper lr -d
    will tell us what repos you have, which might be a clue to this updating.

Avoid OneClick Installers
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast