Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compiz and KDE in 11.2

Default Compiz and KDE in 11.2

I just learned from this thread that there's an incompatibility between "compiz-kde4" and KDE 4.3, so I'm wondering what's the state of Compiz/KDE support in 11.2? I can install it, but KDE window decorations don't work. I get the GNOME decorations instead, I think. I could try Emerald decorations, but I heard Emerald is no longer being maintained. Is that true?

The Enhanced Zoom plugin doesn't work either.

So am I out of luck if I want to use Compiz with KDE in 11.2?

Default Re: Compiz and KDE in 11.2

* rhasselbaum wrote, On 11/13/2009 07:16 PM:
    > So am I out of luck if I want to use Compiz with KDE in 11.2?

Maybe I'm not really helpful here, but do you have to use Compiz? If it is only for the desktop effects, I found the built in KDE effects much better than Compiz.

Uwe

If you make Compiz the window manager, how do you expect Kwin window decorations to work? Use Emerald. Don't know if it's still "maintained" but Emerald themes certainly still work.
    Günter

Desk: Leap 42.2, KDE 5, Intel i3, 8Gb, Kingston 64Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhasselbaum View Post
    I just learned from this thread that there's an incompatibility between "compiz-kde4" and KDE 4.3, so I'm wondering what's the state of Compiz/KDE support in 11.2? I can install it, but KDE window decorations don't work. I get the GNOME decorations instead, I think. I could try Emerald decorations, but I heard Emerald is no longer being maintained. Is that true?

The Enhanced Zoom plugin doesn't work either.

So am I out of luck if I want to use Compiz with KDE in 11.2?
    If you had read the thread you would realize the kde4-compiz package has been withdrawn.
    kde4 desktop effects are best employed with kwin
    If you must have Compiz then yes, you'll get a load of gnome stuff. I should look out for an update on Compiz in kde from Ian (ijbreakey).
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    If you had read the thread you would realize the kde4-compiz package has been withdrawn.
    I did read the thread. As I said, I already know there's an incompatibility. My question is if there's a known fix for the zoom problem and whether the KDE window decoration problem is temporary or if using the GNOME decorations is just the way it's going to work in 11.2. Emerald is not in the repos, BTW.

For what it's worth, I prefer Compiz to KWin because I find the accessibility features in Compiz to work better for me. (I have low-vision.) I just want to see if I can get the same Compiz experience that I had prior to installing 11.2.

Blog Entries

Zoom as in Ctrl-mouse wheel up
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Zoom as in Ctrl-mouse wheel up
    Right. It does nothing.

Blog Entries

I don't have a single Compiz package installed.
    I use kwin
    Just works
    What more can I say.
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Really hate to taint my current KDE 4 implementation with compiz, as when I use compiz, there are a couple of glitches with some things, such as Network Management allows itself to show below the panel when I right click it, and other things with fullscreen video. But I will take the dive and reinstall it and tell you how it goes. I know I tried compiz with the 11.2 RC's and milestones and it worked with all of them as long as you follow the instructions from here:

Compiz Fusion - openSUSE

And ultimately my post here:

Compiz Fusion on 4.3 X - openSUSE Forums

Which is linked to from the site above.

If you have any problems with that or any more questions feel free to ask.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

To be honest you are bettwer off with kwins effects, in the long run it works better then compiz in KDE, though compiz does have more "bling" in terms of how many effects it supports.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast