Thanks
Marcel

This workaround helps:

Start one time as root “sax2” and quit it again
(without any changes).

Now the arrow keys work.

Marcel

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I’ve just installed suse 11.2.
When hitting the arrow up key in a konsole window the
screen snapshot program windows pops up. Also several characters
are wrong, e.g. < instead of | or @ instaed of ü …

I tried and run sax2 and now most but not all characters are
displayed correct. But still for example the arrow key does not
work at all (at least snapshot does not pop up any longer).

I rely heavily on the use of xterm, so any idea could be the reason?

Thanks
hajix

Same symptomps here.

OpenSUSE 11.2 updated from 11.1
Logitech Multimedia Elite Keyboard

I can’t find keyboard settings in YaST ¿?’

Hi,

I fideled around a bit. Its a very strange behaviour. When auto login is set, then ksnapshot pops up when hitting the up arrow key.This happens in all applications. Also several characters are
set wrong. Running sax2 helps a bit (but only up to next login), but now the up arrow key does not work. When switching off auto login and log in manualy, only the up arrow key does not work.

I hope somebody has an idea how to solve this problem. Suse 11.2
is useless for me as long as the keyboard does not work proper.
Meanwhile I’ve fallen back to 11.1!

Thanks a lot!
hajix

Same effect with my MS Natural Keyboard Pro. I also tried a couple of things, but across all applications in KDE (not only konsole):

• arrow keys do not work (arrow up starts screenshot)
  • delete does not work
  • right alt gr produces a new line
  • function keys do not work

I upgraded the hal to the latest factory release with no effect. I tried to start without xorg.conf, edited xorg.conf, new sax2-generated xorg.conf with same effect.

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:16:01 GMT, fl0MUC
<fl0MUC@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>Same effect with my MS Natural Keyboard Pro. I also tried a couple of
>things, but across all applications in KDE (not only konsole):
>* arrow keys do not work (arrow up starts screenshot)
>* delete does not work
>* right alt gr produces a new line
>* function keys do not work
>
>I upgraded the hal to the latest factory release with no effect. I
>tried to start without xorg.conf, edited xorg.conf, new sax2-generated
>xorg.conf with same effect.

I suggest trying to use IIRC xmodmap tool.

marcelruff wrote:
> Start one time as root “sax2” and quit it again
> (without any changes).
>
> Now the arrow keys work.

amazing!!

this may be the openSUSE equivalent of the M$-reboot-and-all-is-well
mysterious, smoke and mirrors guru magic!!

maybe it will become as widely prescribed and as effective–we shall see…

</sigh>

palladium

Ok, found it on my computer. I created once a xmodmap.conf file for mapping previously unmapped keys of the MS Natural Keyboard Pro. This worked fine under the kbd driver. Now I upgraded from 11.1 to 11.2. Since the driver model changed from kbd to evdev, this mapping obviously caused chaos. After I removed the file, everything worked again.
If you have some trouble, you’ll find a lot of additional hints when googling for “evdev cursor keys” or similar…

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:46:01 GMT, fl0MUC
<fl0MUC@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>Ok, found it on my computer. I created once a xmodmap.conf file for
>mapping previously unmapped keys of the MS Natural Keyboard Pro. This
>worked fine under the kbd driver. Now I upgraded from 11.1 to 11.2.
>Since the driver model changed from kbd to evdev, this mapping obviously
>caused chaos. After I removed the file, everything worked again.
>If you have some trouble, you’ll find a lot of additional hints when
>googling for “evdev cursor keys” or similar…

Thank you both for reporting back.

I have a comparable problem. For me it’s the “End” key that doesn’t always work. Also, some other keys seem messed up at times.
Going into the configure desktop and reselecting the same keyboard layout will temporarily resolve this problem and I just tried starting sax2 as root and exiting, works as well.
But the problem keeps reappearing. I’d like to know the root cause. Has anyone fount that yet?

Keycodes seem to have changed between Xorg 1.5.2 (openSUSE 11.1) and Xorg 1.6.4 (openSUSE 11.2). If you use an older .Xmodmap, (at least) the Arrow down key won’t work, more precisely, with a miscrosoftpro keyboard , it will behave like Super_R (more or less the equivalent of the right Windows key).

The first thing to do is to remove or rename your .Xmodmap (or whatever you call it). Don’t use an .Xmodmap written for 11.1 on 11.2, as the key mapping won’t do what you expect.

The keyboard model used to be explicitely set in xorg.conf. Now it is detected by the hal daemon. Unfortunately if detection failed, the keycodes doesn’t match your keyboard hardware, and the keyfunctions are mapped incorrectly.

To prevent the hal daemon from guessing your keyboard model, you have to disable the input hot-plugin and set your keyboard model manually in xorg.conf. It might create other problems depending on your hardware, but il will solve the keyboard detection issue. Unfortunately, while setting “microsofpro”, the resulting key mapping looked pretty much like a basic pc104. Maybe some keyboard definition files vanished in Xorg, as a consequence of the “all in hal” strategy. To be able to use extra keys, like windows keys, mail, home, etc, you might have to write a new .Xmodmap. We already gave some examples and explained how in that other thread: My Question to All Linux Community People? - Page 2 - openSUSE Forums

On the other hand, when the keyboard is detected properly, the keymapping seems pretty much more complete and consistant than it used to be in previous Xorg versions. As far as you don’t do anything special, no xmodmapping should be necessary.

To disable hal keyboard detection, use the option “AutoAddDevices” “False” in the ServerFlags section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, as shown in the example below. The “InputDevice” section is for a PS/2 microsoftpro keyboard. For a USB keyboard, use “microsoftprousb” instead. The list of available keyboard models and layouts can be read in the file /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst

# **********************************************************************
# Server flags section.

Section "ServerFlags"
   Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
Endsection

# Input devices section

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier	"MicrosoftPro"
  Driver	"kbd"
  Option	"CoreKeyboard"
  Option	"AutoRepeat"	"500 30"
  Option	"Protocol"	"Standard"
  Option	"XkbRules"	"xorg"
  Option	"XkbModel"	"microsoftpro"
  Option	"XkbLayout"	"us"
EndSection

I do not pretend that disabling input hot-plugin is a good thing. It’s just the fastest way of getting read of hal keyboard detection. It is up to you to use it or not, depending on your hardware and on your needs. I disabled input hot-plugin to track down the problem, but then I reenabled it, since my keyboard appears to be detected correctly after all. I was just using an older (11.1) .Xmodmap.

More info about keyboard settings is available here: Xorg - ArchWiki